Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the cowl tags and VIN plate painted the same colour as the car or are they unpainted aluminum ?
The vehicle was originally red and was repainted black during a previous engine swap.
I am trying to get the cowl back to original
Thanks .

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
The VIN plate is stainless steel and the Fisher body plate is Aluminum/ neither were painted from the factory. The VIN plate was installed after paint by spot welding onto an area that was left unpainted. The cowl plate 'on some cars' (may have been different in various plants?) was installed and then 'crudely masked' during painting. The cowl plate on my late '57 Nomad displayed this with some paint around the periphery of the body plate - which is installed on the firewall behind the engine.

·
Registered
65,811 Posts
maybe try a little paint remover on them to bring back the original look. just be careful and tape around them

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Some Fisher Body Assembly Plants did paint the aluminum cowl tag, some did not. Take your pick.
My 1955 Tarrytown cowl was painted body color, which was black. I purchased the car in 1965, and saw no evidence of color change during its restoration.

481 Cowl Tag Plate.jpg

·
Registered
138 Posts
I used Q-tips and lacquer thinner to clean rattle can paint off my cowl tag, and will leave it as bare aluminum.
Be sure to tape some plastic around the tag if you want to avoid damaging the existing cowl paint below it.
My taping job wasn't perfect, you can see a bit of the original primer exposed below the tag.
A small plastic scraper or pick that withstands lacquer thinner would have helped clean out the edges of the raised lettering.
Vic

0582_30_123500_57ChevyFirewallTags.jpg

·
Administrator
63,445 Posts
I have seen both, painted and unpainted, my preference is unpainted looks nice a shiny on the firewall.

·
Premium Member
10,320 Posts
All the Baltimore built 57s I have ever seen have the cowl tag natural color.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The VIN plate is stainless steel and the Fisher body plate is Aluminum/ neither were painted from the factory. The VIN plate was installed after paint by spot welding onto an area that was left unpainted. The cowl plate 'on some cars' (may have been different in various plants?) was installed and then 'crudely masked' during painting. The cowl plate on my late '57 Nomad displayed this with some paint around the periphery of the body plate - which is installed on the firewall behind the engine.
thanks I appreciate the advice , I prefer the non painted look too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts