Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to find a few electrical solutions about my 1957 Chevy. At the moment most electrical problems are solved by trial and luck. This leads to buying more parts.
I would like to get rid of the old generator and regulator system and go directly to an alternator which I have been told does work well and is quite simple. I would appreciate any and all information in this regard.
Also: Explain the exact wire connections between the generator and the regulator. I think am having trouble there. I have installed a Volt meter and it reads about 18 volts at 55 miles per hour. I don't know if this is good or bad. This seams high to me. Also the points in the regulator want to stick shut when the motor is stopped causing the generator to run like an electric motor?? As you can see I'm not understanding something. Help!!
Anyone who would be interested in shining some light on this problem, I would be eternally grateful.
Thank you,
Wayne Sundquist

·
Registered
67,732 Posts
you can get an alternator kit from eckler's. had one put in a 55 I had and worked out great that voltage sounds high. :anim_25:

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts
18 volts is way too high. It should be around 14 volts. The generator is working fine but the regulator is not controlling the voltage as well as not shutting it off. You need a new regulator. ..... http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1442175,parttype,4884

A internal regulated alternator is a good option and easy to wire without a kit. An alternator from a mid 70's chevy, a 10 gauge wire to the battery. Connect the small brown wire that was on the generator to the alt #1 terminal and connect the #2 terminal to the outpost post with a short jumper.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
A internal regulated alternator is a good option and easy to wire without a kit. An alternator from a mid 70's chevy, a 10 gauge wire to the battery. Connect the small brown wire that was on the generator to the alt #1 terminal and connect the #2 terminal to the outpost post with a short jumper.
here's mine

You'll also need a bracket. I used a cheapo Mr Gasket one and had to drill it some to fit. Ecklers says they have one that fits, and it does look like the there is a larger hole
http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-alternator-bracket-chrome-1955-1957.html

Then you'll need a plug. That should be in the HELP section of an auto parts store.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
If you can find a 68 Camaro alternator bracket they work well and give you clearance to adjust the belt. You have to enlarge the front hole of the alternator bracket a bit to allow it to fit a stock exhaust maniford. These brackets are now being reproduced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wayne Sundquist

Thanks for the great advise.
Alternator is now installed and is producing approx. 14 volts.
One small problem: When I connected the white #1 connector post on the alternator to the 20ga wire going to the idiot light it goes on and stays on even when the engine is running. I also installed a voltage meter under the dash to be sure that all is working well. My voltage meter is showing about 14volts being produced but the light stays on. Did I do something wrong or is there another malfunction that I failed to notice?
Does anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks
Wayne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts