Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to look for a 57 2dr HT and wondering if the engine numbers match the VIN #. How do I determine if it has "the original motor"? Did they have a 265 in 1957, I thought only a 283 engine?
I had a 1959 corvette for 30 years and those numbers did not match but had a code so you could identify if it was indeed a 59motor or not.
Thanks, Bob

·
Administrator
66,151 Posts
There are engine codes that will determine when the engine was manufactured.

There also is a production number that will give you a good estimate of when the body rolled down the assembly line.

Its a bit like a jig saw puzzle piecing dates and what you are currently looking at together.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I am starting to look for a 57 2dr HT and wondering if the engine numbers match the VIN #. How do I determine if it has "the original motor"? Did they have a 265 in 1957, I thought only a 283 engine?
I had a 1959 corvette for 30 years and those numbers did not match but had a code so you could identify if it was indeed a 59motor or not.
Thanks, Bob
You cannot determine with 100% certainty if a '57 engine is the one that originally came in that particular car. The '57 engine "serial number" is actually a just a date code and application designation (2 or 4 bbl carb, manual or automatic transmission, etc.). They did not stamp the VIN into the engine block like on later Chevys.

The year isn't stamped into this date code, but it's actually quite easy to determine if an engine is indeed a '57 V8. '55 and 56 have a traditional "long" serial number (but not related to the VIN, either). 1958 and up have bosses for side mount motor mounts (55-57 don't). Also, most '58 up application codes don't match up with the '57 codes, so you can usually tell right off from that whether or not it's a '57.

You can also check the casting number and casting date on the block, though the casting date is hard to see with the engine in the car. The casting number is fairly easy to see, and is unique to a '57.

The best you can do is look at all the date codes on the car. If they're all within a month or two of each other, chances are pretty good all the components are original to the car.

But, if someone took the whole drivetrain out of an identical '57 built a week earlier or later than the car you're looking at, it would be impossible to prove the swap had been done. Then again, since it can't be proved, there's no reason to worry about it, either.

The 265 was only used with a 2 bbl carb and manual transmission. All other '57 V8s are 283.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts