Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just starting on my 57 M/SP Corvette. This will be a mostly street/sometimes strip car much the same as my Hemi powered 55 Chevy gasser is. I bought my first one of these back in 1972. I had jacked it up the same way, installed a 301 SB, 4 spd with 4.88 gears, Tubular Automotive headers, Lakewood slapper bars and a set of Cragar mags finished it off. Needed paint and an interior, and with the arrival of my son, between having little money and only being a two seater, I swapped it for a 57 Chevy Gasser( now that was being pratical...). Anyway I am glad to get a second chance to do a 57 Corvette much on the lines of my 1st one (only better second time around). This will be a 454 BB/ 4 spd car with Hilborn EFI stack injection and I have already made the trip to Tubular Automotive for the fenderwell exit headers (and they are still in the same building/location 40 years later ..talk about a trip back in time.)

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
Wow! really cool project :tu can´t wait to see your updates! Thanks for sharing the story too.

·
Registered
65,811 Posts
cool project. :tu

·
Registered
550 Posts
What is a "ballpark" value for a 1957 corvette project that is all there, just needing a complete restoration......like in a bard find. How much would fuel injection and "numbers matching" increase the value.

I have always wanted a 1958 as I loved the "washboard" hood and double headlights, but now I am starting to like the 1957 better.

·
Administrator
63,445 Posts
What is a "ballpark" value for a 1957 corvette project that is all there, just needing a complete restoration......like in a bard find. How much would fuel injection and "numbers matching" increase the value.

I have always wanted a 1958 as I loved the "washboard" hood and double headlights, but now I am starting to like the 1957 better.
I`m with you Rue I like the older ones they have a bit more character, but if an earlier one came along I wouldnt turn it down :)

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Chassis was all ready done by the last owner.

I made up some 4 inch I-beams to get the front end up for the proper stance.

Reversed shackles take care of the rear end height.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts

Perhaps I can help to answer this question. Seven years ago I responded to an advert in my local paper. A local fellow was trying to sell a complete numbers matching 1960 corvette basket case. I went to look at the car and it was completely disassembled with the body just sitting on the chassis. It had a basement full of NOS parts along with the hardtop which needed restoration. The motor was seized and the powerglide transmission was a big question mark. He said he couldn't find the carb or distributor which he must have misplaced over the many years it sat apart . He was asking $12,500. I offered $9,000 which he promptly refused telling me he already had a standing offer for $9000. He countered with $10K if I could come with the money in cash within the hour. I was back in 20 minutes with the cash and we did the deal. After I concluded the transaction he handed me a paper with about 10 or 12 names and phone numbers on it. I asked what it was and he said these were the names and numbers of the guys who called after I left to get the cash that wanted to buy the car if I didn't return. He said take them, if you suffer from buyers remorse it's already sold.

Now that was about 7 years ago, I imagine this same basket case would sell for closer to $15K today. My brother bought a 58 that needed total restoration at the same time. He paid $21K for a running driving needing complete resto car.

BTW expect a correct dated fuelly to add at least $10K-$15k to the price. A hardtop will add another $5K. You wouldn't believe how much an original set of the chromed trunk spears on a 58 will set you back!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Perhaps I can help to answer this question. Seven years ago I responded to an advert in my local paper. A local fellow was trying to sell a complete numbers matching 1960 corvette basket case. I went to look at the car and it was completely disassembled with the body just sitting on the chassis. It had a basement full of NOS parts along with the hardtop which needed restoration. The motor was seized and the powerglide transmission was a big question mark. He said he couldn't find the carb or distributor which he must have misplaced over the many years it sat apart . He was asking $12,500. I offered $9,000 which he promptly refused telling me he already had a standing offer for $9000. He countered with $10K if I could come with the money in cash within the hour. I was back in 20 minutes with the cash and we did the deal. After I concluded the transaction he handed me a paper with about 10 or 12 names and phone numbers on it. I asked what it was and he said these were the names and numbers of the guys who called after I left to get the cash that wanted to buy the car if I didn't return. He said take them, if you suffer from buyers remorse it's already sold.

Now that was about 7 years ago, I imagine this same basket case would sell for closer to $15K today. My brother bought a 58 that needed total restoration at the same time. He paid $21K for a running driving needing complete resto car.

BTW expect a correct dated fuelly to add at least $10K-$15k to the price. A hardtop will add another $5K. You wouldn't believe how much an original set of the chromed trunk spears on a 58 will set you back!

WOW!!!!! beautiful car.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Great to see a 57 done as a hotrod.......too much NCRS correctness will get on ones nerves. Although i do appreciate the restored judged cars I really like em done in gasser mode and street/ strip versions. I am doing a 62 in that style . Interesting to me is the old school of lifting the front with the I beams:tu.....I had two blocks machined from high grade aluminum to wedge between the frame and crossmember , should give me about 3 inch lift . Great to see you doing this 57........of all the years the 56 and 57 just have the coolest look:shakehands:

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picking away at the body, fitting the doors, setting all the gaps, etc. Another couple weeks I'll have it in primer.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Looking forward to the build. Nothing looks better than a hotrod 57 corvette. I can remember several running around with that same stance back in the late 60s early 70s. Definitely one of those bucket list cars. Ron

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where are the Cragars. I don't remember very many drag cars with Daisies. our 57 had Cragars all around, until we got the Firestome slicks.
These are the second set of wheels off my 55 Chevy. I have a set of American D-spokes for this along with a set of Cragars (15 x4s,15 x 8s ,both sets)that will go on this car as it progresses. These "roll-a-rounds" look better on the car than the stock steel wheels for the time being.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
These are the second set of wheels off my 55 Chevy. I have a set of American D-spokes for this along with a set of Cragars (15 x4s,15 x 8s ,both sets)that will go on this car as it progresses. These "roll-a-rounds" look better on the car than the stock steel wheels for the time being.
Sounds like you have it handled. I've got the same set of Cragars for my 55 gasser. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Great build, I always wanted a 58 vette or anything close. I finally decided they were out of my price bracket and settled on building my cobra.

It aint a vette but it is fun to drive and I have a total of less than 12K in the total build. I bought an abandoned project for 7.5K and then finished assembly and paint.

Still, maybe someday one of those early vettes will come my way.

for now I have a project 69 vette convert waiting for resto.

Ray

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I was in the same boat. I traded my Factory Five Cobra for this Corvette project. I built my Cobra and drove it 6 years. Loved the car, but have wanted one of these 56-7 Corvettes from the time I sold my last one back in 1972.

Great build, I always wanted a 58 vette or anything close. I finally decided they were out of my price bracket and settled on building my cobra.

It aint a vette but it is fun to drive and I have a total of less than 12K in the total build. I bought an abandoned project for 7.5K and then finished assembly and paint.

Still, maybe someday one of those early vettes will come my way.

for now I have a project 69 vette convert waiting for resto.

Ray

1 - 20 of 135 Posts