1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65,816 Posts
different strokes for different folks. :gba:

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Well any body can restore one (it only takes a lot of money)it takes a real man to cut one up. But I do hope he restored an old gasser

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Over the years, I've seen several EARLY Vettes that have been wrecked, cannibalized or otherwise severely abused and misused beyond the point of being economically practical to be repaired or restored. Some were so bad they would have been salvage yard rejects. So, some of the gassers may be cars that were resurrected from obscurity and became (to some extent) worthwhile and driveable (sort of).
My 56 was not quite that bad when I bought it in 73, but it was a good candidate for being abandoned in a pasture. I wanted one of these (56-57) so bad that I just had to have it------------and it was almost a national debt mistake!!!
Since then, it has undergone a full frame off rebuild (NOT restoration) and it had LOTS of missing parts, a custom interior and aftermarket wheels. All of which have been rounded up and replaced.
It is NOT a correct NCRS restored car, but it is not junk.
Below is before and now versions.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Here is an example of what I was referring to above.
What do you do with this kind of damage? Junk it, part it out, attempt to repair the damage, or make it into a gasser?
I think this car would be a candidate to use the right side for a full wall art display . If the insurance paid for it , buy it back as salvage, sell the hardtop as they bring good money as well as any Corvette part. It would be the ultimate garage art and leave the purists gasping . I would do it in gasser style leaving the line wheels up. :):):)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sweet!!! Did it run what you were hoping for?

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Sweet!!! Did it run what you were hoping for?
Not as good as I had hoped. Best time was a 12.5 @ 115mph. Even with the new slicks my 60 ft time were still over 2.0's. Dropped the pressure to 10 lbs, but still spun. Didn't want to go any lower without the slicks being screwed to the rims. With a 1.7-1.8 60 ft time, that would have put me in the mid-elevens, where I expected it to run. And other than the slicks, it was just as I drive in on the street. Looking forward to next spring .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts