Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's hard to figure out what a good price is for these project cars are worth and I figure you guys would know best. I would assume this car was restored at one time and may have some rust in places, it's missing the front seat but everything else is there. Its a V8 four speed (don't know if it original) he's asking $8,000 is that price about right or is it to high?

Attachments

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,390 Posts
Could be a good price, depending on the amount of rust or collision damage it might have....More pics will help.....Are you viewing the car in person?

BTW.....No 57 Chevrolet passenger cars originally came equipped with a four speed transmission.

We may have a bowtie-trifive member from your area that can help you take a look at it......Post a thread in the Chit Chat forum; such as: Looking for help from a member near Overbrook, OK

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
You can easily spend 6-800 bucks on a decent front seat, if you want an original bench. I bought mine(car) for 8grand then replaced the ragged interior with a Ciadellas and spent another 2500. It adds up fast, trust me.
I know a well done car cost more, but you will spend a ton redoing one too.

·
Administrator
70,807 Posts
Also not sure if its an original V8, the vin tag & cowl tag will give you more info on wether it was an original belair, paint & interior combo, V8 or Six Cyclinder.

You could alway offer less and go up from there :anim_25:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't seen it in person yet but figured I would go armed with as much info as I can. I talked to him on the phone and he said it did need some floorpan and rocker work so I would just say they need replaced, I can do my own repairs so nothing will be farmed out except paint and interior and I got some friends for that. I'm not building a factory original just a nice hotrod without cutting it up. My uncle is building several cars right now but not up on the prices of the 57, so I thought I would inquire here. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also not sure if its an original V8, the vin tag & cowl tag will give you more info on wether it was an original belair, paint & interior combo, V8 or Six Cyclinder.

You could alway offer less and go up from there :anim_25:
Didn't think to ask for the vin. But he does have the title for it , he said it was sitting since 77 and they r moving and won't be able to do anything with it. Price IS negotiable he said.

·
Registered
186 Posts
price of car

with just a couple of pictures its hard to make much of a guess.....:tu
:gba:
bowtie-trifive
Hi, I paid $ 8000.00 for My 4 door hard top and am now at about $ 40000.00 it ain't cheap to try to go original, but for what your saying by doing most of the work you will not be that high. { not trying to scare you} good luck. jack

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These are the only other pics he has posted and none are the interior, I know it will be expensive but I'm Only 36 so I've got a little time to get it built. We've been racing dirt cars for the past 18 years and I'm ready to do something different. I've also found a sedan with the original 6 cyl in it not much left of the interior guy said it needs a quarter, hood, decklid add some glass but the floors were good, it doesn't look as nice as this one but it's not painted over, and we all know that paint can hide a lot!!! He is firm at $5500

Attachments

·
Administrator
70,807 Posts
I didnt take a good look at the hood before but its been modified, the rockets are gone and its been louvered.

If thats been done you really need to check out all of the usual rust spots, fenders, floor pans, inner & outer rockers, braces, trunk area.

·
RIP 11/24/2021
68,758 Posts
$8000 for a 2dr ht seems like a good buy, but never know till you look at it. what about the eng and tranny? is it a driver? lots of ?????? :confused0006:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It has the engine and transmission but it's not running and I've located a hood for $100. Guy's out of town till Thursday so I won't be able to check it out till then.

Don't know what happened on the last pics so I will repost them.
Whats the price difference in the hardtop vs sedan as far at what one in the same condition will sell for?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I haven't seen it in person yet but figured I would go armed with as much info as I can. I talked to him on the phone and he said it did need some floorpan and rocker work so I would just say they need replaced, I can do my own repairs so nothing will be farmed out except paint and interior and I got some friends for that. I'm not building a factory original just a nice hotrod without cutting it up. My uncle is building several cars right now but not up on the prices of the 57, so I thought I would inquire here. Thanks
If it needs lots of floor and rocker work I'd say $8000 is a bit too much.....it's one of those things where you'd have to see it in person to make a valid determination....

Good luck with whatever you decide...

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
A local guy here had a 57 hardtop in a gas station for sale. He was asking 25,000 . I told him he was way overpriced for the shape of the car. Front splash pan was rotted out. Door flappers didn't work, rust in the rockers, trunk and trunk lid etc. I guess he thought he had gold or something cause it was a 57 hardtop.

·
Registered
37 Posts
With what you described,i dont think the car is worth over 5,000.It,s not a driver,and needs a lot of work just to make it a good driver.Without seeing the car you have to assume that all the chrome has to be rechromed,and the stainless will have to be buffed out.new tires and wheels.You get the picture.more or less a complete restore to do it right.But the 57 hardtop will make one heck of a nice car if you do the work and spend about 30,000 more on it.The only difference between the one you are looking at and real rough one is you may and i say may not have to replace the quarters and get by with a couple patch panels.The sedan you mentioned is not a hard top, so try and get the yellow one because it is and the hard tops just look better and are worth more when finished.But don't give 8 for it 5 is the price you should shoot for.Just explain to the guy that with all the work to be done on it its just not worth it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
to buy or not

With what you described,i dont think the car is worth over 5,000.It,s not a driver,and needs a lot of work just to make it a good driver.Without seeing the car you have to assume that all the chrome has to be rechromed,and the stainless will have to be buffed out.new tires and wheels.You get the picture.more or less a complete restore to do it right.But the 57 hardtop will make one heck of a nice car if you do the work and spend about 30,000 more on it.The only difference between the one you are looking at and real rough one is you may and i say may not have to replace the quarters and get by with a couple patch panels.The sedan you mentioned is not a hard top, so try and get the yellow one because it is and the hard tops just look better and are worth more when finished.But don't give 8 for it 5 is the price you should shoot for.Just explain to the guy that with all the work to be done on it its just not worth it.
I bought mine for 8000 but after i tore into it 5000 would have been the number. so shoot for that is what i would do if [ a big word ] i was to do it again. good luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.