Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, 1957 210 4 door. Painless harness installed prior to my buying it. Just realized my reverse lights are also my turn signals... thats not right is it? Thought my brake lights should be my turn signals also. Granted I haven't actually got under her to chase wires, but anyone know how to correct this? Just wondering if someone has run into this before.
Troy

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Ok, 1957 210 4 door. Painless harness installed prior to my buying it. Just realized my reverse lights are also my turn signals... thats not right is it? Thought my brake lights should be my turn signals also. Granted I haven't actually got under her to chase wires, but anyone know how to correct this? Just wondering if someone has run into this before.
Troy
Are you saying the back-up lights work in reverse AND blink when the turn signals are activated. The brake, turn signals, and tail lights were originally the same bulbs in the tail light houseings above the bumper. The backup lights only, were originally in the bumper, but it doesn't mean someone couldn't have connected them to the the turn signals. Do the back up lights have clear lenses? If so, it's not only not right, it's illegal in most states, for them to come on while not in reverse.
Since it could be wired differently by whoever installed it, It's hard to know how to correct it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats the problem. Clear lenses for reverse lights, but they double as my turn signals. I have to figure out how to remove the turn signal part and add it back to the tail lights.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Apparently they wired the third brake light wire to both brake lights and the turn signal wires to the back-up lights. There is some wiring manuals on the Painless site that may help straighten it out. Which Painless kit do you have? How many circuits/fuses? Painless site ....http://www.painlesswiring.com/manuals.php View the manual for GM non-key column.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I don't know what the guy who installed the harness was thinking, but after about an hour chasing wires and removing added wiring, I finally tracked the original issue to the bottom of my column. The tail light wiring was grounded direct to the column. Removed that and plugged the wires the way they were supposed to go and everything works correctly now :happy0030:
Cross one more thing off the list!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts