Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

221 - 240 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Gentlemen can come and work in my Place anytime Unsupervised.
You Mister are on a Roll. 👍
Stretch
Thanks, Stretch.

I stopped in at HRE this morning and Sean had just finished the basecoat on the body and was going over it with his day light looking for any streaks or mottling. No problems so he was fixing to lay down the clear. Below are a few photos he sent after it was done. Out in the prep area, they were in the process of buffing the doors and other parts as well. Everything looked great!

hre39.jpg hre40.jpg hre41.jpg hre42.jpg hre43.jpg hre44.jpg hre45.jpg

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Wow - stunning! And silver can be problematic if not applied perfectly. You've turned a significant corner. I'd say it's all downhill from here...but it really isn't. But it is at least more enjoyable when you walk into your shop and enjoy looking at it. JR

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Very nice, and I LIKE the silver color (what paint was that?).. It's beautiful in the shop and will be stunning in the sunlight... you'll have to wear sunglasses all the time!! :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Wow - stunning! And silver can be problematic if not applied perfectly. You've turned a significant corner. I'd say it's all downhill from here...but it really isn't. But it is at least more enjoyable when you walk into your shop and enjoy looking at it. JR
Very true that even though this is a major milestone, there's a lot left to do, JR. But the best thing about it is that most of the mock up stuff has been done, so when the parts go back together this time, it's for good. Before Sean applied the silver, we discussed it and I knew he was nervous about it, but we both agreed that most metallics (and especially, silver) benefit from a final "mist" or "drop" coat where you back the gun away a few extra inches. I'd say he nailed it pretty well.
Very nice, and I LIKE the silver color (what paint was that?).. It's beautiful in the shop and will be stunning in the sunlight... you'll have to wear sunglasses all the time!! :)
The paint is from PPG and is called Millennium Silver. It's a (cough, cough) Toyota/Lexus color. I used it on a truck build about 10 years ago and loved it. Decided to go the same route for the wagon. I figure it will work pretty well with the aluminum and chrome.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Before Sean applied the silver, we discussed it and I knew he was nervous about it, but we both agreed that most metallics (and especially, silver) benefit from a final "mist" or "drop" coat where you back the gun away a few extra inches. I'd say he nailed it pretty well.

I figure it will work pretty well with the aluminum and chrome.
Agree - one might think a bright silver would take away from the luster of chrome and polished aluminum - but in fact it contrasts it very well!

As for the drop coat - my friend Dave and I had the same discussion. My fear on my roof was 'tiger stripes' over an area that is difficult to easily reach:

My trust is well placed:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
...As for the drop coat - my friend Dave and I had the same discussion. My fear on my roof was 'tiger stripes' over an area that is difficult to easily reach:
View attachment 322754
It looks like you laid it down perfectly! Wish I had your shop. ;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
They moved the body outside this morning to cure out some more in the sun. I plan to go down there this afternoon for a look see and to take them the door hinges. I rebuilt them with new bushings and replaced some of the springs that help hold the door open that were broken. Couldn't find reproduction pieces but I was able to source some used ones.

Went out to get the newspaper this morning and the radiator was sitting on the front porch. No heads up that it was on its way, but was a nice surprise. It looks great and should fit the space in front of the original radiator opening. Will require a bit of modification to the core support but that's okay.

hre46.jpg hre47.jpg IMG_4880.JPG IMG_4881.JPG

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Paint looks GREAT!!!
Good choice on a Griffin its a darn good rad I ran them in the track cars. Mounted this one on fabbed saddle brackets.
11-17-14.JPG
11-17-15.JPG

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Paint looks GREAT!!!
Good choice on a Griffin its a darn good rad I ran them in the track cars. Mounted this one on fabbed saddle brackets.
Thanks! Your brackets look great. Are the bottom ones bolted on or welded to the core support? I'm gonna have to do something just like your setup pretty soon. Would prefer to get the core support tuned up before the front clip goes back on.

Some more photos I took this afternoon. They said it took two guys about three hours to get the roof the way they wanted. But it came out great from what I can tell out in the sun. For me, it's easier to see problematic areas inside under the lights. Or outside during the "magic hour" right after the sun goes down.

hre48.jpg hre49.jpg hre50.jpg hre51.jpg hre52.jpg hre53.jpg

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Lower rad saddle brackets are welded on. The core support is a DIY thing I used 1x2x11ga tube. Fabbed the fan mount brackets to seal the Taurus 2 speed fan to the brackets, the stock fan housing bolts on without mods to it. Lower air baffle is riveted to the core support it bolts to the splash apron. If building your own core support suggest using material the same width as a stock core support my hood brace / baffle needed to be flipped 180* to clear my wider unit.
11-17-4.JPG
11-17-9.JPG

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Lower rad saddle brackets are welded on. The core support is a DIY thing I used 1x2x11ga tube. Fabbed the fan mount brackets to seal the Taurus 2 speed fan to the brackets, the stock fan housing bolts on without mods to it. Lower air baffle is riveted to the core support it bolts to the splash apron. If building your own core support suggest using material the same width as a stock core support my hood brace / baffle needed to be flipped 180* to clear my wider unit.
View attachment 322843 View attachment 322844
That looks like it should cool pretty well, everything fits and the fan sees the most important part of the radiator. Nice work.
View attachment 322855
...Like I said - stunning color. Wow!
Thanks! I'm steadily adjusting to the single color. For so long I'd visualized the two tone, but I don't regret going this route. It keeps growing on me.

Took the rear hatch (sedan delivery) weatherstrip down to HRE this afternoon. They said it would be a lot easier to install now rather than after the hatch was in place. The windshield and back glass were in and look real nice. Got a chance to visit with the installer, Darrell, and he offered me some tips for installing the side glass and said if I needed any help to just let him know. At the rate they're going, they should be ready to set the body on the chassis next week.

hre63.jpg hre64.jpg hre65.jpg hre66.jpg

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
So far only a little bit of polished stainless to tell, but to me that windshield trim proves what I said about the color providing a nice contrast to the shiny stuff!
JR

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
So far only a little bit of polished stainless to tell, but to me that windshield trim proves what I said about the color providing a nice contrast to the shiny stuff!
JR
You were 100% right on that, JR. I'm already anxious to see more of the trim pieces on it. Will be hard to avoid getting ahead of myself. ;)

They have all the doors and the hatch on, so it's basically ready to set on the chassis. Will have to wait until after the holiday weekend, though.

hre71.jpg
hre72.jpg
hre73.jpg
hre74.jpg

·
Registered
380 Posts
I love watching you guys work. It is truly art. A few years ago I had a 66 Chevy II more door that I bought because of my autistic son. At that time time Chip Foose, who was friends with our big boss, came to build a van for a wounded warrior. Nicest guy you could ever meet. We took him on a tandem skydive (got good pics btw) and he autographed a shirt for me, and drew two 4 door Chevy II pics for me (quickly) . He asked me why a 4 door, and I explained everything to him. He got a little teary eyed and handed me the pics. I looked him up, his sister suffers from progeria and he bent over backwards for her. Good man, good brother....but the point... 4 Doors Kick a$$ for our own reasons.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Looks like an exotic metal sculpture, or an emperor's relatives's adornment right out of the jewelry box. Some really great work there!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
I love watching you guys work. It is truly art. A few years ago I had a 66 Chevy II more door that I bought because of my autistic son. At that time time Chip Foose, who was friends with our big boss, came to build a van for a wounded warrior. Nicest guy you could ever meet. We took him on a tandem skydive (got good pics btw) and he autographed a shirt for me, and drew two 4 door Chevy II pics for me (quickly) . He asked me why a 4 door, and I explained everything to him. He got a little teary eyed and handed me the pics. I looked him up, his sister suffers from progeria and he bent over backwards for her. Good man, good brother....but the point... 4 Doors Kick a$$ for our own reasons.
Years ago, I'd never have thought I'd actively search for a "more door" but done up nicely they can be pretty cool. When we got this one home, my wife sat in the back seat and was amazed at how much room it has, even with the front seat all the way back. Glad you shared your story about your son and Chip. We lived next door to a couple with an autistic boy and a younger son with Down Syndrome. They were both just little tykes when they moved in and used to come over and play all the time. The autistic boy is now going to college at TX A&M and we text or email him on a regular basis. Great memories.
Looks like an exotic metal sculpture, or an emperor's relatives' adornment right out of the jewelry box. Some really great work there!
Thanks a ton for the props.!

I talked to Rick at HRE yesterday and he wants to pick up the chassis on Tuesday, weather permitting. Our forecast calls for scattered showers on Tuesday and Wednesday, so I'm not sure what exactly will happen. It shouldn't take too long to get the body on and bolted down if all goes as planned. One potential fly-in-the-ointment is the remote battery cable. I ran a 2/0 cable from the rear of the car to the starter along the top of the frame rail. I won't know until the body goes on if will clear the ribs on the underside of the floor where the body bushings are installed without chafing. I tried using a straight edge to gauge whether I had enough clearance and it looks like I may have. But then again, I thought the coil covers would clear the firewall and was wrong about that. The good news is that it should be easy to move the cable to the side of the frame rail if all else fails. I gave Rick a heads-up about it, so they know to check it while it's on the two post lift.

IMG_4888.JPG

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
That silver is stunning. I truly appreciate the effort you are putting into this car. Love seeing the progress. You have to be proud.

221 - 240 of 246 Posts