Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
A little hard to tell from the photos as they are small and not many of them.. but looks to be a decent buy if the drive train is running good and not too much rust.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't had a chance to look at it yet these are the Pictures he sent me, he said it had minimal rust.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
I cut my teeth working on British cars, and these in particular are prone to frame rot, as is the big brother TR. Just get her up and look at her carefully. They are fun to drive, but other divers can't see them due to there height.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ive owned a newer one (1978) for over 20 years.
They are fun but completely unsafe and the resale value is terrible.
Ours has overdrive, which makes the car liveable. I dont know if that was available on the older ones.
Parts are available. I use victoria british.
These cars are sooo easy to work on! You will love the flip front bonnet!
If you want it, get it as cheap as you can because you wont get your money back.
If you want one to fix up and keep, they do have a certain quirky charm. And girls love them:)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
Just finished helping w/ a wiring nitemare on it's big brother...ABSOLUTE JUNK.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just finished helping w/ a wiring nitemare on it's big brother...ABSOLUTE JUNK.
And if you buy it, you will get used to hearing comments like this on a regular basis.

Personally, I have never had one wiring problem with mine....period.
Older ones might be worse, I don't know.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I owned one of these back in the early 70's. It was a very fun car and easy to work on. I remember that mine had a snap on convertible top. Always got wet when it rained, but I got caught in the rain yesterday with my convertible 68 Vette (top up) and got wet also! Just buy it, get it safe to drive and enjoy it. Don't drop to much money into it and you will have a fun sports car.

Don

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
LUCAS wiring...aka "LUCAS the prince of darkness"...one of the problems with early Brit sports cars like Healey, MG, Triumph...:sign0020:

As has been said they are prone to frame rot moreso than MG or Healey...but they are sure fun to drive. Had a girlfriend in college that had an early Sprite and I got to drive it quite a bit...fun on curvy roads, very quick steering, good acceleration...not much fun on a couple hundred mile trip though, always felt the big rigs could never see you.:)

Price seems fair IF the frame is in good shape and mechanically it is sound...Looks like it will need a new top and side curtains(available but rather pricey for what they are) as it doesn't look like it has roll up windows. Don't invest a lot and you may find you or your wife(more likely)will have a fun little sports car to tool around in.

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
I used to love driving driving those little sporties back in the day......:anim_25:
Cowboy :flag6:

:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I found a spit fire not sure if its worth buying or not any advice. The engine runs good needs work though, he wants $500. Pictures aren't the greastest.
Do you want a spitfire? Have you been looking for a spitfire? If yes, then $500 doesn't sound like a dad deal...I could think of a worse way to lose $500...but that's me...and my 0.02...you need to figure out for yourself, how much you want it! :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
From a buddy of mine who collects MGB's:

"why do the Brits drink warm beer?"...."because Lucas makes their refrigerators!"

tim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts