Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this engine apart. trying to get input from those who know- or have done this.I am not informed as i was. This motor has good cyl walls. takes reg gas, so the valves have to be done,I want to get 55 -60 more hp out of this motor. not going to race it just .. fry the tires now and then. I am told motor is out of c-10 /1969.
i have A muncie ready to go in it.what will be the best way to go -engine]. Edelbrock kits are out!--- of the agenda for me a 350-350- hyd cam and lifters,the heads i am concerned about .being as i was told they are the same as the 194 heads ..... or close anyway . What is the suggestions on this? I am using stock rear dump exh manifolds. thank you for what you may have. thinking on using the stock quadra jet thats on it??????? Although i have an edelbrock on my zz3 in my 50 merc . good carbs. also chime in bob s

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
if you have dished pistons, get a cam with short duration and semi high lift, will give you a little better low end torque, or just an rv cam approx. .465 lift will do and don't forget to gear up the rear end to some 4.11's or atleast 3.73's. some headers with a 2.5 exhaust size, or some corvette ram horns with the 2.5 exhaust manifolds, a fluid dampner will help some, electric fans help, and an electric fuel pump helps a tad but not necessary and last but not least a good oversized air cleaner, air in, air out. it also kind of depends what you want, good torque with a 5500 redline, or better top end around a 6500 rpm redline that picks up around 3000 rpms, 1.94's aren't bad, not the best but they can make pretty good power.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Sounds like the same truck engine I have. Should have heads ending with casting numbers 991. They make good torque, but are not high horsepower heads. You could look for some heads ending with casting numbers 041, they're versatile good performing stock heads. Or convert to vortex heads and a new intake. Lots of options, how much you want to $pend?!?!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like the same truck engine I have. Should have heads ending with casting numbers 991. They make good torque, but are not high horsepower heads. You could look for some heads ending with casting numbers 041, they're versatile good performing stock heads. Or convert to vortex heads and a new intake. Lots of options, how much you want to $pend?!?!

well!! from what i hear the vortech L-31 heads are what i need. I was really thinking, the stock heads for this engine, would suit me..but thinking now on vortech heads.I
defintely want the" lope" of a 350-350 cam. my wife loves that.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well!! from what i hear the vortech L-31 heads are what i need. I was really thinking, the stock heads for this engine, would suit me..but thinking now on vortech heads.I
defintely want the" lope" of a 350-350 cam. my wife loves that.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are these numbers--- located on the back end of the stock head; 991-041 yeah !!!spending this time on the last build for me, i am watching the funds closer ,Think anybody here would have these heads .any of them? bob s

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Your original heads (1969) may be 441's.(not sure about trucks) They are about 76cc. To increase compression you can use any number of heads to raise the compression. 461,462, 291, 040, 186, 492, and 041. The last 3 have bolt holes on the end for the alternator and other accesories.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your original heads (1969) may be 441's.(not sure about trucks) They are about 76cc. To increase compression you can use any number of heads to raise the compression. 461,462, 291, 040, 186, 492, and 041. The last 3 have bolt holes on the end for the alternator and other accesories.
These heads are; 462324 stamped on top of heads and there is threaded holes on both heads. For attaching other brackets, and the like. "Quadrajet" built by carter.No other numbers except on the butterflies.(back barrels).:blowtiedb:

bob s Merry Christmas

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The block casting number is; 3970010

1 - 9 of 9 Posts