Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a brand new 350 V-8 put into my 1989 Suburban a couple of years ago. Now the wife says it is time for the Suburban to go because it is starting to look ugly. The engine is perfect, and I don't want to get rid of it. (cost me a lot of money) I have a 1956 Ford Fairlane with an engine in it that needs some work. I was thinking of taking my 350 and putting into my Ford. My question is what to do because the engine runs off of a computer. Would I want to put the computer into my old Ford? Or can you change the engine so that it runs without the computer? I'm really not experienced with this kind of stuff, so any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Sell the 350 and get a Ford small block crate motor. I think that would be a better combo. Just my opinion.
On the other hand, there are many thousands of early Ford's with Chevy small blocks in 'em. At least Model T's thru '48's or so.
Probably the Ford guys know more about this kind of swap.
Good luck.

·
Administrator
49,366 Posts
It`s not hard to find a wiring harness to use to install the computer/Fuel injection setup in an older ride. I`m using a 1991 350 with the FI. Haven`t got it going yet but thats not because of the computer stuff, Terry.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Another option is to install an aftermarket intake that is designed for your newer SBC heads, and accepts a 4bbl carbeurator. (Either Holley or a Quadrajet...your choice)

The Chevy into a Ford swap thing has been done many times...(just about finished setting up a 406 SBC into an 85 Mustang drag car myself actually.) But I would tend to agree with warpwr and suggest that a Ford crate motor install may be more easily accomplished.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the good information everyone. I think I will pass on putting the 350 into my '56 Ford. Too much work for my limited skills. I'm glad I asked about it before attempting the swap. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I think I would do the swap just to pi$$ off the Ford guys... :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not this Ford guy.....

Actually I'm a Chevy and Ford guy. I put my first small block Chevy in a Ford back in '65; a 327 c.i. in a '40 Ford coupe. Used an Honest Charlie adapter to mate it to the original '40 trans. Had problems stripping teeth off the cluster gear & 2nd gear. Later on I went with a small block Chevy with a TH350 or TH400 in a Ford. Had quite a few of these including one such setup in a '50 Ford club coupe. The small block is a perfect fit for an early Ford.....almost exactly the same size/dimensions as the Ford flathead engine. Too much trouble putting a Ford in these early Fords.

I have a old cartoon on the wall of my garage. These two grounds keepers are working around Henry Ford's grave when they hear a rumble coming from the ground. One guy says to the other "There he goes again. Everytime someone puts a Chevy in a Ford, 'ole Henry turns over in his grave." :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts