Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has an automatic in it. Does anyone know what transmission it could be or how to tell vie a tag or serial number. If I can I'd like to use it in my 57 3100 I'm restoring.....

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
It has an automatic in it. Does anyone know what transmission it could be or how to tell vie a tag or serial number. If I can I'd like to use it in my 57 3100 I'm restoring.....
Could be a 4L60

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!! That helps a ton! I'm gonna check it when I get home. Which one of those will bolt up to my SBC? I'm wanting to avoid an electronic setup so hopefully I got lucky with this one...

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,007 Posts
Its the 4l60 no "e". Better know as the 700r4. They are the same trans basically, GM changed the name. Now there is a difference. The 4L60 (non e) relied on the computer and several sensors (VSS) to make it lock up along with a 4th gear pressure switch. So it has a small plug on the side of it.

In 1993 GM switch to the 4l60e its a full electronic trans. with non TV cable and the PCM shifted it.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Its the 4l60 no "e". Better know as the 700r4. They are the same trans basically, GM changed the name. Now there is a difference. The 4L60 (non e) relied on the computer and several sensors (VSS) to make it lock up along with a 4th gear pressure switch. So it has a small plug on the side of it.

In 1993 GM switch to the 4l60e its a full electronic trans. with non TV cable and the PCM shifted it.
Its a lot more different than that, 27 vs 30 splime input and an aux. valve body. I searched alot to find a 4L60 and ended up buying two cores to get enough parts to build one trans. when 700r4 junk was in stock and free. Like I prevously stated they 4L60s are an upgraded 700r4.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vss? Vehicle speed sensor? So it should work up against my SBC and if I am going carbs no computer I'm OK?

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,007 Posts
Vss? Vehicle speed sensor? So it should work up against my SBC and if I am going carbs no computer I'm OK?
Look were the speedo cable goes on tail house of trans. If it has a mech speedo your good to go, if not it has a VSS and you need to convert to cable. Around that time GM had some that could be VSS or cable.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome!! Yea ill look. Either way, vss or not, I can use it fairly easy huh. How hard is it to convert it to cable?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sweet so I guess ill use this trans since it has low miles and no problems. Now it would be nice to find a carbd manifold to put on this motor and do away with the Tbi. Would I have to change the heads? Its out of the 91. It has a roller cam so would like to keep that

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Sweet so I guess ill use this trans since it has low miles and no problems. Now it would be nice to find a carbd manifold to put on this motor and do away with the Tbi. Would I have to change the heads? Its out of the 91. It has a roller cam so would like to keep that
You must modify the center intake bolts with a rat tail file, no big deal.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You must modify the center intake bolts with a rat tail file, no big deal.
It would be nice to stick with this newer motor. Its in way better shape than the motor that came in my truck, but were building this 57 and want to go carbd. I have one so to make it work, it should bolt on with minor modification but not a new manifold? I know the fuel system will have to be worked and the distributer will need to be changed...

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Les and BO185 -- thanks for posting some useful info.:tu

I never knew the 700R4 was also known as the 4L60.

Mini rant: With the 6-, 7-, and 8-speed transmissions that are all the rage now, I find myself wishing for a simple 4-speed OD trans for my daily driver. Certainly anything more than a 5-speed auto spends its time shifting way too much, and trying to outsmart the driver. My 2011 F150 has a 6-speed with a low gear that's almost useless when the truck is unloaded. And what's really bad, is when I slow down to around 5 mph or so, the trans stays in 3rd until I barely touch the gas pedal, then it drops down into 1st, and then shifts to 2nd almost immediately. Very annoying and totally unnecessary. /End rant.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:congrats:
Les and BO185 -- thanks for posting some useful info.:tu

I never knew the 700R4 was also known as the 4L60.

Mini rant: With the 6-, 7-, and 8-speed transmissions that are all the rage now, I find myself wishing for a simple 4-speed OD trans for my daily driver. Certainly anything more than a 5-speed auto spends its time shifting way too much, and trying to outsmart the driver. My 2011 F150 has a 6-speed with a low gear that's almost useless when the truck is unloaded. And what's really bad, is when I slow down to around 5 mph or so, the trans stays in 3rd until I barely touch the gas pedal, then it drops down into 1st, and then shifts to 2nd almost immediately. Very annoying and totally unnecessary. /End rant.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
With the long weekend coming, I've been sitting at work mentally building my truck. The 57 has the engine mount for a SBC. How does getting this newer 5.7 to fit on that mount. Brothers has motor.mounts that are side bolt. Do those bolt to the block And than fit it in this crossmember?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts