Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got done sanding all the slick sand. I did find a lot of low and high areas which I have fixed already. My question is, can I use 1k primer as a last primer coat. The reason I am asking is, I have about 3/4 of a gallon and I figured it would save me some money that I can spend elsewhere. Will the 1k build high enough for me to black back off, or should I spend the money and get the 2k. Thanks guys and gals.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
if using the slicksand you should need no primer . after the last coat is sanded down you can seal and go. i sand to 600 . if you want to use a urethane primer i have used spi high build. but i no longer use anything other than epoxy . where are you at on it ? what grit ?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if using the slicksand you should need no primer . after the last coat is sanded down you can seal and go. i sand to 600 . if you want to use a urethane primer i have used spi high build. but i no longer use anything other than epoxy . where are you at on it ? what grit ?
I'm at 120 right now. I didn't go any finer because I had planned in priming one last time.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I can spray some more epoxy, then block sand it? I really think it needs another coat because I found quite a few spots that I had to fix even after blocking the slick sand. The body looks great, and would probably look fine as it is, but I haven't done a whole lot of body work and not too sure what it would look like with the paint on it.

·
Registered
38,755 Posts
Every flaw in your primer and body work is multiplied by a factor of 10 or 20 when paint is applied.

As far as cheap materials, it's like building a brick wall. If you have light duty stuff, put it on top, not the bottom.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
this is why i use spi epoxy. it has a nice gloss to it . also changes color when blocked so it is really easy to see where you are at. slicksand is not an epoxy. the black spi epoxy is good for this. i like to keep black and gray handy so i can alternate back and forth. when i'm close i will do a coat of black to check it. and yes spi epoxy can be used the same as primer. it sand just fine . once i'm at 600 i'm ready to paint. when i start i do a reduced coat of epoxy , wait 1hr then go .

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great Porchdog! I am picking up the paint (marina blue):congrats: and the clear. I will also get the epoxy to go with it. I do have one more question to go with the black epoxy. Is it going to darken the paint a little being the primer is dark?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Or, use a good high build primer, spray a good coat or two. Block sand it down to where you want it and paint away. Your paint supplier can get you the correct primer to use under your topcoat, without using epoxy.
Personally, I like epoxy on bare steel, then high build, then topcoat.
But I never planned on a show quality paint job either...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.