Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to break ground on a new 4 car garage, attached to my existing 2 car garage. The new garage will be approximately 1700 sq/ft. I am planning to install a 2 post lift and I see a lot of different manufacturers out there. I'm looking for advice on those lifts to avoid, and those that are most appropriate for a home garage. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks. John

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
I hav this one in my shop/ excellent, and i do put mu surburban on it too,

well worth the money, As far as Im concerned, I dont mak a living off it, but use it for my 2 classic cars and dailey vechiles, plus the biys use it for there use too
do a search if u get time, this ones from greg smith <indy>

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hav this one in my shop/ excellent, and i do put mu surburban on it too,

well worth the money, As far as Im concerned, I dont mak a living off it, but use it for my 2 classic cars and dailey vechiles, plus the biys use it for there use too
do a search if u get time, this ones from greg smith <indy>
That's good to hear, since that particular lift is one of the less expensive ones out there. I know that I'll have to add the cost of freight to it, but I like hearing that it's been a good buy for you. How long have you had yours?

·
Registered
164 Posts
when I was searching for lifts I noticed that there would be different lifts with the same load rating say 10000# but one would be almost half the weight in materials than the other and when tested it showed. I chose a bend pak cheaper than a rotary lift but built just as good IMO.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You are going to be real happy with your lift, I use mine every day I work in the shop and wonder how I ever got along without one before.

There plus's and minus's to every one of these lifts. One thing be sure to buy the highest weight rating you can afford. Mine is 11,000 Lbs and will lift just about anything I want it seems like. I have had my Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Dually on my lift with no worrys and it weighs 7,800 lbs.

You will have to choose between a clear floor model are a lift with a base plate. The clear floor lifts have all the wires and such running above the vehicle and you will need more area "Overhead" for one of these. The Base Plate lifts have all of the cables and hydraulics running thru a base plate on the floor. Mine i9s the later or base plate type. Plus's for this lift is you will need less room over head. The minus's is a bigger deal than I thought it would be and that is the base plate is always in the way. You need to load the vehicle you are lifting so that you can use stuff like Transmission Jacks and even Engine lifts. It seems that no matter what I do I hit the thing more than I would like too. Now with that said for me its probably the best choice even with that limitation.

They are a cool tool and good for a lot of stuff. I do 10 or 12 engine swaps a year and today I can't imagine doing one without a lift.

good Luck on your choice....

Roland

Attachments

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Roland. The comment about the base plate getting in the way of other jacks and tools, now sways me. I've also heard that some of the units have one swith releases for the automatic safety locks, but you have to have an overhead style for that. So, that sounds like two reasons to go with the overhead, and the fact that it can get in the way is a very good point that I have ignored. does anyone have any real criticisms of the way any of these are made?

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
Thanks Roland. The comment about the base plate getting in the way of other jacks and tools, now sways me. I've also heard that some of the units have one swith releases for the automatic safety locks, but you have to have an overhead style for that. So, that sounds like two reasons to go with the overhead, and the fact that it can get in the way is a very good point that I have ignored. does anyone have any real criticisms of the way any of these are made?
I hav the low ceiling one as NO CHOICE, it lifts total of 6' 7"" thats from floor to bottom of vechile, \And it has the dual lock set up 2, works?controls on one side , and locks and unlocks both side . The shop has 11' 9 ceilings. so no choice
Ive had it since spring, I do monthly maintance on it, and the base plate not a issue, I hav a tranny jack that has the wide stance , so it straddles the base plate
If I had the room , I would of went with the full ceiling lift, but :)
thats the way it goes, Like mention this works excellent for me, If I was makn $$ off it, I would go BENPAK, but really trust this one, As its my head under there.this one is really HEAVY DUTY IN STRUCTURE AND PERFORMANCE

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I also have a Bend Pak lift and have no regrets with it. I bought a 10,000lb Asymmetrical lift with the wide frame option for more clearance when opening doors. At the time I bought it 10 years ago I bought it for about the same price as an imported lift and the distributor was offering free shipping to a business address. The lift is very well made I do not think you can go wrong with one. Another reason I bought it was finding repair parts if they are ever needed. Hope this helps. Try this link. They offer free shipping
.http://www.asedeals.com/lifts2.html?gclid=CMXIycfi7KQCFQ_W5wod12hL2A

Tom

·
Registered
222 Posts
I work in an automotive repair shop, and use Mohawk lifts. They are pricier than most lifts on the market, but they are built solid, and I have not had any problems with them.

Plus, they can be used in lower ceiling height application, just have to shorten the hydraulic lines when the lift is installed.

Just my .02, HTH

Matt

·
Registered
51 Posts
rotary

Rotary lifts are one of the oldest companys (even made ingrounds way back when) Their two post assymetrical with overhead brace and cable system makes any job underneath a breeze including trannys. Don't let the thickness of steel be confused with the grade of steel used to build the lift. Also regardless of lift you choose think about pouring thicker to total 5" in 4' by 9' where lift is going, also pots in the floor come in handy for many things and are easy cheap install when pouring slab. I would use my rotary like a frame machine with that setup to straighten anything. Also lift any 1 ton loaded work trucks. I have had other lifts for home garages all probably good for price but the Rotary was by far the best least maintinance to keep up, Four years of daily use and abuse building wrecks, trannys, not once did the Rotary need a drop of fluid and not once did the Rotary need cable ajustments after first install in shop. The cheaper lifts I had sometimes would need fluid and cable adjustments, again I use and abuse all lifts doing jobs the lifts were not designed for like tying a car down to pots and useing 1 of the four legs of the lift to pull a frame horn also lifting way over load recommendations to keep from having to unload 1 ton service trucks. "Any lift is better than heartburn"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts