Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well need some advise, i will be working on this old 1955 truck mod 5700 f, it has the original 2 speed rear end, my ? is how do you guys think an ls 3 with a 4le60 overdrive trans, will work with the 2 speed rearend, i dont see any reason why it would not work, but just throwing it out there for a topic.:tu

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Shouldn't make any difference.That rear end will work with any combo.
With the old 2 speeds,ya gotta back off the throttle a sec. to get a bit of back-lash while shifting up.Ya got ta mash her ta down shift-He-He.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shouldn't make any difference.That rear end will work with any combo.
With the old 2 speeds,ya gotta back off the throttle a sec. to get a bit of back-lash while shifting up.Ya got ta mash her ta down shift-He-He.
how do you think it would be as far as drivability, and would the 2 speed rearend help to bring the over al RPM down while at freeway speeds.

·
Registered
37,965 Posts
Even the old single speed axles were geared too deep for a modern powertrain and the fact that you probably aren't going to haul big loads or tow a heavy trailer.

The two speed axles were geared with the same deep gear as the highest ratio, and the low gear was VERY LOW.

Do you know what the gear ratios are?

If they are what I think they are, and you're considering an LS engine, you'd be much better off with a heavy duty car axle or a modern truck axle with an appropriate gear ratio.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Don't see any advantage unless you are hauling a load.That axle will only give you the advantage for hauling weight. It's not going to give you anything on the top.
Most companies bought them as a cost saving way to buy a 5 speed trans and turn it into a 10 speed.
I love old stuff but since you are going to go modern with everything,you;ld be better off getting a dually rear out of a wrecked (fairly new) truck ,disk brakes and all. I don't see that rear having much use with the direction you're going.
I drove my 2 1/2 ton 57 Chevy grain truck home and split the gears and had a blast but I like stock stuff. It don't sound like you're going that way.

·
Registered
37,965 Posts
A friend of mine bought a 56 Ford F650 from the company we worked for way back when. This was 25 years back or so. It had a 2 speed rear and a Y block Ford V8 (272 or 292, don't know which). What I do remember about it was that the cab and frame were really cherry and not beat up, which was pretty rare for these deals. Single rear axle with dual tires in back.

It had a 4 speed with a granny low and a 2 speed axle. It would only do about 50 mph with the axle and trans both in high gear and it got about 5-6 mpg with no load or a small one. So I'm thinking a Chevy 5700 would do about the same. Probably had a 235 in it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you all for all of your info, and based on what you guys are saying i will now start looking for a late model rear end, now my next thing is what to do about a front suspension, or heck should i just find a motorhome chasis ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts