Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Just because the statute of limitations has passed and the thief no longer has to fear criminal prosecution, that doesn't mean that the person it was stolen from wouldn't still have a legal claim to the vehicle.

As much of a long shot as it is, I don't blame the person for trying to find a fuelie '57. I'm not sure about plastering the VIN all over the Internet as you risk the person seeing it and finding some 'alternative paperwork' for what is likely a six figure car. If I was really determined, I'd probably keep quiet and try to get that VIN run in as many countries as possible and see what happens. Any money spent is likely an investment without return, but I wouldn't blame someone for trying.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Can you show me any case that is over 5 decades old that does not have a murder or rape connected to it that has ever, and I mean ever been enforced, in terms of returning property. ( I will capitulate in any case or cases regarding federal currencies or tax)

It might surprise you just how much I have "studied" the law. ;)
I don't see anything over 50 years like you ask, but there have been a number of cars returned after long periods of time and multiple owners.

40 years - Stolen ’64 Chevrolet Corvette Returned to Owner after 40 Years
27,18, 37 years - Cold-Case Classics: Cars Stolen Long Ago Find Their Way Back (Published 2007)
42 years - Texas Man Finds Stolen Car 42 Years Later
33 years - VIDEO: Stolen car returned after 33 years
36 years - https://newjersey.news12.com/nj-woman-reunited-with-car-stolen-36-years-ago-34876871

This is just a 2 minute Google, not serious research by any means.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts