Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm swapping my TH350 transmission for something with overdrive. I had done a lot of research on the 2004r and the 700r4. I had about decided on the 700 then today somebody mentioned the 4L60E. Anybody have any experience with this one? Good idea? Bad idea? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
with the 4l60e you with have to also buy a transmission controller as it is electronically controlled there is a 4l60 which is basically just a late version of the 700r4 before they went to electronic control & is a good choice as they had several improvements if you are going that route

·
Premium Member
10,736 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with the 700R4 but I did install a 4L60E into my 56 Bel Air a couple of years ago. I used the EZ-TCU controller and have been very pleased with the OD and how well it works overall. Having to buy the controller is an added cost but I personally think it's worth the money.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
I also looked at all three, and came to the conclusion the 200R is tough to find. The 4L60E takes more expensive controller to do the same thing the 700R4 does. So I ended up going with the 700R4, and a $34 hydraulic pressure switch to lock and unlock the converter.
I'm extremely happy with the 700R4, and my SBC 350 roller motor gets 19 mpg cruising at 70 mph. I also love the low 1st gear of the 700R4 that pulls hard off the line.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yes, the 4l60E is an updated electronic version of the 700R4. My 55 had a fresh rebuilt 700R4 with an unknown shift kit in it when I bought it. For some reason they deleted the lockup and full throttle shifts in Drive were at about 4000 RPM. I knew I wanted the full throttle upshifts at around 6100 RPM in Drive with the new motor, so I went through the unit, added the necessary upgrades for high RPM use, full throttle fourth gear, lockup, a few other mods and put a known shift kit in it. I added the good (expensive) lock up control that also uses engine vacuum and the brake switch to unlock the convertor. The trans works good, but............

To get the shift points you want at light and full throttle entails trying different combinations of weights and springs in the governor and to a lesser extent adjusting the TV cable, which is kind of a pain. I don't think it's possible to get all the full throttle shift points to occur at the same RPM in a 700R4. Might be possible with some more work in the valve body. For most people, a Corvette governor might work good enough.

Needless to say, I'm doing what I should have done in the first place-installing a 4L60E and a stand alone controller. There's something to be said about just using a touch screen to input shift points, shift strategies and shift firmness.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yes, the 4l60E is an updated electronic version of the 700R4. My 55 had a fresh rebuilt 700R4 with an unknown shift kit in it when I bought it. For some reason they deleted the lockup and full throttle shifts in Drive were at about 4000 RPM. I knew I wanted the full throttle upshifts at around 6100 RPM in Drive with the new motor, so I went through the unit, added the necessary upgrades for high RPM use, full throttle fourth gear, lockup, a few other mods and put a known shift kit in it. I added the good (expensive) lock up control that also uses engine vacuum and the brake switch to unlock the convertor. The trans works good, but............

To get the shift points you want at light and full throttle entails trying different combinations of weights and springs in the governor and to a lesser extent adjusting the TV cable, which is kind of a pain. I don't think it's possible to get all the full throttle shift points to occur at the same RPM in a 700R4. Might be possible with some more work in the valve body. For most people, a Corvette governor might work good enough.

Needless to say, I'm doing what I should have done in the first place-installing a 4L60E and a stand alone controller. There's something to be said about just using a touch screen to input shift points, shift strategies and shift firmness.
I like the.200, but the TV cable pused me to 4L60E as well. In my Nomad we run a 400th with a Gear Vendors OD.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you to everyone for your input. I'm thinking the 4L60E might be the way to go. They are readily available and the ability to dial in information easily are big selling points to me. Thank you again to everyone who responded. I've said it before but it's worth repeating; this forum is a great resource.

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
just make sure you buy a 4l60e for whichever engine you intend to run it behind SBC or LS based there is a difference

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
700R4 with 200 as a back up plan for me. I do not want any computors in my classic cars. I've had a few with 700R4 and couldn't be happier. But what ever you decide is fine by me:)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
With the 700r4 it is imperative to get the throttle valve cable adjusted properly to avoid damaging the trans. With that done, you are good to go.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I swapped the TH350 in my ‘55 for a 700R4 about year ago. I Love it. Best advice I can give is to Google Phoenix Transmissions in Mineral Wells, Tx. Review all the options, then call Scott.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
4L60E 1st gear ratio is similar to the 350 Turbo. The 700 1st gear ratio is lower.
4L60E and 700R4 have the same gear ratios. That 3.06 first gear ratio makes for a large RPM drop from first to second. The 200R4 is closer to the Turbo 350's 2.52 first gear ratio with it's 2.74 first gear ratio.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
4L60E and 700R4 have the same gear ratios. That 3.06 first gear ratio makes for a large RPM drop from first to second. The 200R4 is closer to the Turbo 350's 2.52 first gear ratio with it's 2.74 first gear ratio.
Good catch I was probably thinking about the 4l80 trans.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts