·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Great pictures. I attended the Millington tour stop. So many cars and trucks to see. Talked to a lot of nice people. Thinking I need to get my car done and make one of these tours in the future.

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Great pictures. I attended the Millington tour stop. So many cars and trucks to see. Talked to a lot of nice people. Thinking I need to get my car done and make one of these tours in the future.
Git R Done and get that car back on the road.:sign0020:

I'm still looking for a wagon or a SD. (looking a three this weekend )

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Hot Rod Power Tour 2013

Ruby Falls and the mountain were tough on some brakes and transmissions :p3: Stop sign in a small town could back traffic up a mile or more :turtle:
The small towns gas stations and eating places did well :)
Overheating has taken a toll on several vehicles. At times we have been stuck in parade type traffic (Slow) for an hour or more.
It might pay if you put a car together to take it out to a vacant big parking lot where you can put in it drive or 1st gear with the A/C on and just drive it around the parking lot (idle speed) for 90 to 120 minutes and see how your heat does.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Thanks for the pics, how big is that event looks like its larger than Ben Hur :)
We don't have a count yet because folks can get on till North Carolina. They did say when they left Arlington there was over 3,000 vehicles. I think last year was over 5,000 vehicles and they expected more this year. Have to wait till it's over for a final count. The hotels, gas stations, eating places, etc. have not been able to handle the amount of people or vehicles. There has been several wrecks involving the cars and many breakdowns.

·
Registered
67,783 Posts
enjoyed the pics, thanks. :tu

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Birmingham News reported 4700 cars registered. I register in Memphis but slipped by in Birmingham. So there were more cars that did not register... We were more than 100 mile from Birmingham when I got a call that the Parking lot was full at that time. Hot rods were as far as I could see in front of and behind me. What a site and almost all were going 70 MPH.... Heavy rain stopped many cars for a while but that line up was almost solid all the way to the parking lot...
Of 4 TV stations I did not see one report about the Power TOUR on TV. I am still running into people that had no clue about the event...

·
Registered
690 Posts
I can tell you I haven't seen a line getting into Memphis International Raceway that long since it was Memphis Motorsports park and the NHRA was in town! I rode almost 1.5 miles with my hood open looking through the hole in the hood to keep from overheating. The line moved decently well. Beale Street was packed like a Saturday night. There is actually a cool picture of me taking a picture of my car in front of Wet Willys on their website!

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Birmingham News reported 4700 cars registered. I register in Memphis but slipped by in Birmingham. So there were more cars that did not register... We were more than 100 mile from Birmingham when I got a call that the Parking lot was full at that time. Hot rods were as far as I could see in front of and behind me. What a site and almost all were going 70 MPH.... Heavy rain stopped many cars for a while but that line up was almost solid all the way to the parking lot...
Of 4 TV stations I did not see one report about the Power TOUR on TV. I am still running into people that had no clue about the event...
Some of the restaurants we went to did not have enough wait staff to handle us and they said they did not know this event was coming to town so they weren't prepared for the amount customers that wanted service.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
This was our 5th "Long Haul" & we have seen most of what has been mentioned here. However we have never had a problem with getting in or getting served anywhere. But then the group that we run with does not stay next door to the venue. Just common sense to us. As cars go, we drive our '67 Malibu convertible. Nice 327/5-speed, stock 3-core radiator, aluminum flex-fan, never overheated. If you want to do it just use some common sense. Prep the car for that many miles & do the preventative maintenance. Brakes, belts, hoses, tune up, etc. We have broken down once in five years. Edelbrock carb went south at the Indy stop in 2011. Get with someone that knows whats going on for some info. And most important, treat it like a vacation & have fun. :anim_25:

7,082 Posts
It might pay if you put a car together to take it out to a vacant big parking lot where you can put in it drive or 1st gear with the A/C on and just drive it around the parking lot (idle speed) for 90 to 120 minutes and see how your heat does.

Excellent advise. Made Arlingon to Texarkana, then to Little Rock, then to Memphis, Tn and pics at Graceland. Absolutely the best CAR SHOW in the World and they drive em. PRICELESS. Lloyd :bowtier: :)

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Good advice. I went to a meeting yesterday for planning on a Sept 7, 2013 Hwy 271 Cruise. It will start in Gladewater and end in Mt Pleasant, Tx. See it on etxhappenings.com. One of the biggest issues was prize money and it was brought up (by me) about trailer queens, just coming for the prize money, not the cruise. Also brought up about informing the public. Our Chamber of Commerce director was there, and I nailed him about not informing our little town about the Power Cruise coming through here. Had the same issue, not enough information to handle large crowds.
Some of the restaurants we went to did not have enough wait staff to handle us and they said they did not know this event was coming to town so they weren't prepared for the amount customers that wanted service.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
If you are concerned about an overheating issue, I would go to the nearest high traffic area at rush hour & get into some bumper to bumper crawling for awhile. That gives you the effect with another vehicle in front of you to impede the air flow to your radiator. You will find out pretty quickly if you have an over heating problem or not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts