Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I mostly see old women trying to looked 30 driving corvettes.
Todd
Two vette stories:
- freshman college buddy drove a new vette to college, I was never sure how he got one.. he was "dating " a woman 20 years his senior, she got it in the divorce. Cougar was not a term yet

- in my E1-E3 days, my "p*ssmate* on the base had a newer vette as an E2. He could just make car and insurance payments, no money for gas. I would put gas in it and we would drive to Panama City Beach, me driving was the deal. Do you know how many girls you can squeeze into a vette with the tops of....quick answer...4, with me and him in it too...

Those were the days.

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
Certainly some interesting views and I respect them all. I have a C6 Corvette convertible loaded, that I bought brand new in 2006. I never owned a Corvette before this one. Previously, I went with a friend to Bowling Green, Kentucky, where he took a museum delivery for his C6. I helped drive it back to NY and was sold on the idea of buying myself one. It was just a beautiful car. Handled well. Tons of power. What was there not to like about it, other then it being costly. So, I pulled the trigger and have had it ever since. Garaged since new. About 20 thousand miles on it. I really don't drive it that much. One year, I think I put about 21 miles on it. But now, that is going to change. With most of my cars sold, I don't have to move anything around to get it out of the garage. It has it's own bay. I'm looking very much forward to driving this car a lot more often this coming year. It's really a very nice car. Brakes nicely. Handles corners and curves like it's glued to the road. Power. Speed. I've had it up to 135 mph in a heartbeat several times. Of course when no po-po were around. There is nothing else I would ever need from a Corvette. I've never had the desire to buy another one and don't ever see me doing it. I don't care for the styling of the C8's and begrudge no one from buying one. They're just not for me. If you're going to buy one or already have, I'm very happy for you.
Now, I also have a '55 Chevy vert. This car represents something entirely different to me, then the C6. I can relate well to it. Part of my youth. Had one when I was 15 yoa. I know what the car is and capable of. I would never compare it to the C6 in any form or manner. They are two different creatures altogether. I've always enjoyed driving the C6 when I take it out and I'm sure I'll feel the same about the '55 when I eventually get it registered. I think I'm enjoying the best of both worlds. At least for now, Carmine.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I really like them. And I think they did a heck of a job on it. I’m a hot rodder first and foremost, so love the idea of a mid engine corvette. What would keep me from buying one is the transmission. Automatics are for race cars and minivans and I have never driven one that I’d buy in a “fun” car (and yes, I’ve driven many of those that are considered good). I understand the marketing realities, and that the auto is faster...of course, if I extend that argument, though, I could pay Lewis Hamilton to drive my car and it’d be faster yet!

TopDog-the reasons you state are what I feel would eventually drive me away from my “three pedals only” stance and into something like the new corvette (or Supra- just to invite some hate mail 😁). I did right at 200 military parachute jumps in my younger years, and I’m sure when those come home to roost, I won’t look so fondly on that clutch pedal!
Enjoy that new corvette!
The second gen camaro I am building... I am on the 2 or 3 pedal fence for very close to the same reason...I understand

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
The second gen camaro I am building... I am on the 2 or 3 pedal fence for very close to the same reason...I understand
I bought my 55 because it was a 4 speed. If I keep it I will go to a hydraulic clutch, but I am looking forward to driving a dual clutch transmission which GM refers to AS 2 MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS mounted side by side. My son has a Ferrari with the F1 manual transmission with no clutch pedal and it is fun to shift.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Has gm taken your deposit yet , i finally placed my first deposit today . The last 9 months went pretty fast

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Has gm taken your deposit yet , i finally placed my first deposit today . The last 9 months went pretty fast
Thats great for you I have only provided the initial 1000 deposit. looks like I am 3 mounths behind you

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Very nice. I love old cars like our tri-fives, but new cars have their place too. 500HP, mid-engine, a slick shifting automatic transmission with paddle shifters, and 2.8 seconds to 60...sounds like an awful lot of fun for $60K.

A C8 is on my bucket list. Not sure if I want one more than a C6 Z06 or not, but that mid-engine vette is sexy and is a ground-breaking vehicle just like the 1955 Corvette with the 265 V8 SBC was in its day! I can't afford nor do I have space for a C6 and a C8 so I'll have to choose. Waiting to see what prices for C8's do in a few years I guess.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Has anyone actually taken delivery on one of these for under $90000?
Has anyone actually taken delivery on one of these for under $90000?
Based on folks I talked to, 85 K seems like the normal price for an LT2. Mine is a LT1 with special paint, tape stripes and special wheels will be around 64K

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Based on folks I talked to, 85 K seems like the normal price for an LT2. Mine is a LT1 with special paint, tape stripes and special wheels will be around 64K
Let us know when you actually take delivery, I'd like to know

·
Registered
1955 Nomad
634 Posts
You guys ordering...have you actually sat in one?

Just wonder how well you fit, visibility, and getting in/out is like.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
You guys ordering...have you actually sat in one?

Just wonder how well you fit, visibility, and getting in/out is like.
lots of room for driver, Pass anger side is tight

41 - 60 of 104 Posts