Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, First Post...

I've been helping my buddy with his 55 wagon, but he's old school, and doesn't quite get the whole forum thing, so here i am :sign0020:

We need to pull the head to locate a washer which was sucked into the carb 5 years ago, and has resulted in the motor not being started since...

my question is in regards to the head bolts themselves...
I see that new ones are not readily available, and i'm wondering what people are doing to get around that?

are people reusing the old bolts?

My concern comes from the fact that "Modern" head bolts are designed to stretch (for lack of a better word), and as such should never be reused, but are the pre-'66 bolts designed the same way?

Thanks

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
235 cyl. head bolt torque= 90-95 ft. lbs., check a manual for torque sequence on all the bolts. :anim_25: :bowtier:
Big Bob:flag4::bowtieb:

·
Administrator
66,194 Posts
There is a sequence of removing & reinstalling the head bolts.

They are not all the same length. Reuse what you have.

I strongly recommend that you get an extra two long head bolts, cut the heads off and cut a line into the bolt so you can use a flat head screw driver to drive them in then remove. The purpose of this is when the head gasket is in place its very very difficult to refit the head without moving the head & gasket, there are no guide pins.

Also I used a felpro head gasket instead of the copper style worked a treat.

The rear bolts next to the firewall were the hardest to torque I used two torque wrenches to get this done.

One all in and torqued get the engine up to operating temp then re torque.

·
Premium Member
11,707 Posts
Wire brush them (preferred) or glass bead them (if necessary) and as as above, speck of oil and reuse them. Just take a look at the mating surface of the underside of the head of the bolts and make sure not gouged up or shards pulling off. if so, dress them up and then reuse them. just like the others, I have used head bolts over on some engines way more than once. Just as a note, they are a special (sort of ) shouldered bolt and no replacements are readily available so you really do need to reuse them. I have used both the older Felpro and Victor copper gaskets and the newer Felpro composite gaskets and have not had a problem with either but i do still use, after all these years, the copper spray gasket. Seems to keep me out of trouble so I still use it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I got a couple of 1/2 inch bolts and cut the head off them, and used them for pilot bolts. holds the gasket in place and lowered the head down with a cherry picker. lot easier on the old back!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts