Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to replace worn cam & lifters in a 235 engine from a '55 truck, 3 speed overdrive trans. The old lifters appear to be the original 838774 part with a hole in the pushrod cup and a hole on the side of the lifter. Replacement mechanical lifters I've found (with or without cams) are all missing this hole. Can anyone give guidance on using lifters in this engine without the hole? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,067 Posts
Here is the rub. While I know you have a 55 truck with over drive, 55 truck motors had mechanical lifters (solid), that motor may not be a 55 motor or it may be a passenger car with auto transmission motor, or a 56-58 motor. I am not a truck guy so no pride of authorship here, but I believe the pickup trucks were all stick, so mechanical lifters. For passenger cars, 55 was the one year where there is a distinction. If the motor came from the factory with a stick, you got mechanical lifters and those blocks could not be retrofitted with hydraulics. If power glide, hydraulic lifters. The distinction ended in 56 and all 235 passenger car 235 motors came with hydraulic lifters. So first things first, figure out the casting date and casting number on your block so we can sort out what year motor you have.

The reason you want to do this is because, as noted above, what you are describing is a hydraulic lifter.

As for your part number, 838774 is a lifter for 1929-39 Chevy. 41- early 55 are 3660438 mechanical and the look different (milk bottle shape).

https://images.search.yahoo.com/ima...rumb=686CH044OKB&fr=yfp-hrtab-900&fr2=piv-web

This is a rnos Johnson solid lifter for late 55 and up 235. These are likely 40 years or older. Note no hole on the seat and no hole on the side.

Lens Cameras & optics Camera lens Camera accessory Photography

Can you post a photo of what you have?

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,262 Posts
THANKS for chiming in Mike :):tu

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
more info

See photos attached. I dissected a lifter, it seems pretty solid. In the second photo, it appears to be a solid tube with a machined step, the lifter face to the right fits on the step. The retainer to the left holds it in place. The hole in the side of the lifter goes into the center of the tube. I put in a photo of the block lifter cavity, there is a substantial oil channel drilled into lifter cavities. Based on dialog here, I expected to see a hydraulic lifter when I dissected it. Other parts of the engine indicate that it has been apart before, and not running with the original head. Block casting is 3837004, indicating 1955-1957 235 engine. Thanks to all for your knowledge on this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,067 Posts
The 7004 block casting has been referred to as a 55-57 235 block but I have never seen one with a casting date that would correspond to a 55 production car. Late 55 casting for 56 yes, but not a 55 casting date for a 55 car. So I have always said the 7004 block was a 56-57 block. That does not mean it can't be a 55, only that I have never seen one. Now, what is the casting date for your block?

As for the lifter, I have never seen one like that in a 55-62 235 motor so I agree, someone has been into that motor. If it is a 55-57 block and you want to use mechanical lifters, use lifters for a 56-62 261 truck engine and the corresponding push rods. That is what I use in my solid lifter motors. As you can see from my photos, the lifters have an indentation in the middle of the body to allow the oil to travel down the entire oil galley for all of the lifters. These are what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
See photos attached. I dissected a lifter, it seems pretty solid. In the second photo, it appears to be a solid tube with a machined step, the lifter face to the right fits on the step. The retainer to the left holds it in place. The hole in the side of the lifter goes into the center of the tube. I put in a photo of the block lifter cavity, there is a substantial oil channel drilled into lifter cavities. Based on dialog here, I expected to see a hydraulic lifter when I dissected it. Other parts of the engine indicate that it has been apart before, and not running with the original head. Block casting is 3837004, indicating 1955-1957 235 engine. Thanks to all for your knowledge on this.
Those are after market replacement lifters probably manufactured by TRW or Sealed Power....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Solved!

Dragsix, thanks for your time, you solved my problem, I'm going ahead with the solid lifters. I think I already have the right pushrods. My engine serial # ends in F56X, as you predicted, it's a 56 Thriftmaster.:shakehands:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts