Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '56 Bel Air 4 dr. sedan with a 235. I've been trying to decide whether to keep the stock 6 cyl., or drop a V8 into it. Today I'm leaning toward the six. One thing I need to know is whether the 235 is big enough to run an after-market air package. Whichever way I go, wifey wants to be comfortable!! (So do I)

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
I have a '56 Bel Air 4 dr. sedan with a 235. I've been trying to decide whether to keep the stock 6 cyl., or drop a V8 into it. Today I'm leaning toward the six. One thing I need to know is whether the 235 is big enough to run an after-market air package. Whichever way I go, wifey wants to be comfortable!! (So do I)
The six will handle the power drain, but finding the bracketry will be more difficult. Ive only ever seen on 6 cyl with air and that was an aftermarket setup, using a york compressor. (Sears I think) Depending on how much money you have to invest, I would think changing to a V8 will probably be in order.

·
Registered
66,287 Posts
go with the 8 and tell the wife its to make her more comfi.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that figures. One of the reasons I'd decided to stay with the 235 was avoiding the extra associated with changing to the V8. Always a trade-off. Thanks for the input, pistoncan.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Go with the V8

That six wont get any better fuel economy than a smaller V8. A 283 or 305 will beat the six in overall milage. And the air will hurt milage even more. The pulleys and brackets ar readily available for the V8. If you use a small stock V8 the 6 cyl radiator will work . :anim_25: Randall

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That six wont get any better fuel economy than a smaller V8. A 283 or 305 will beat the six in overall milage. And the air will hurt milage even more. The pulleys and brackets ar readily available for the V8. If you use a small stock V8 the 6 cyl radiator will work . :anim_25: Randall

Will the stock radiator handle an LS1?

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Will the stock radiator handle an LS1?
Switching to a LS1 will open up a whole nother can of worms over and above converting to a V8. If it were me, Id be looking for a pre 68 283, 307, 327, keep the front and rear motor mounts. You only have to find a SB bell housing and everything else is pretty much good to go.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I love the 327 V8 in my 56... Later, Dave

·
Administrator
64,134 Posts
I`ve got both, (235 and 283) and both are reliable I would tend to stick to what you currently have if expense is a factor keep in mind its the smaller items required for the conversion that will cost e.g linkages, radiator support panel for a V8 radiator etc etc the list goes on and on. :anim_25: with what ever way you decide to go :D

·
Registered
933 Posts
I've been trying to make this decision for several months. I have a '62 327 siting under the shelves in the garage that i pulled out of my T-Bucket and replaced with a 260 HP/350 GM Goodwrench crate engine. Even though i did a little work on the 235 (Fenton header, Landon's Holley Weber carb and HEI) i finally decided for what i want from the '56 i would be better off with a small block. So i'm going to rebuild the 327, drop it back into the T-Bucket, bolt a turbo 350 to the 350 and put it in the '56.

The '56 is going to be a simi daily driver and a cruiser. Something i can drive to work, haul the grand kids around in, go to an occasional show or take on a 200 mile ride. I just feel the 350 would be better in the long run.

...if expense is a factor keep in mind its the smaller items required for the conversion that will cost e.g linkages, radiator support panel for a V8 radiator etc etc the list goes on and on.
Before i made my decision i made a list of everything i would need to do the conversion. And in my case it was a fairly long list because the 327 is just a long block. But i think, for me, it's the wise choice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts