Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have never removed an engine before, on the 235 I see the front motor mounts obviously and removing all hoses, lines and cable of sort, what are the other bolts or such I need to remove. All help and tips would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
You have two options remove

engine only
or
engine & transmission together.

The engine if original is front mounted as you mentioned. The transmission if pg has two supports bolted to the frame.

I have found its easier to remove the radiator & hood. With an engine crane lower the rear and lift the lot out. Be careful around the firewall.

The usual wires, hoses etc etc all need to be disconnected.

Label & photograph as much as you can.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Angus, my entire clip is removed it is just the engine and frame. I was hoping it might be that easy as some bolts for the tranny to. Yes it is the PG, what about the drive shaft, will it just slide out when the tranny comes forward?

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
Like Jerrspud said.

If you have oil in the tranny it will go everywhere. You can leave the yoke that the tail shaft uni joints bolts up to or leave the yoke on the tailshaft.

The pg does have a drain plug, no pan drain the oil, you`ll have less to clean up :).

Make sure you have good support where you bolt the engine crane to, you dont want to drop the engine.

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
to clarify; to change the clutch you have to pull the engine (at minimum) or engine tranny together?
No, you only have to pull the tranny out of the bell housing to change a stick shift clutch.

Papa,
To pull the engine and tranny out you need to lift it from the center of mass, which is toward the rear of the engine. MOst people use a chain around the intake manifold but the passenger side of the engine doesn;t have anywhere to lift. The easiest way is to remove the valve cover and remove the right rear engine head bolt and replace it with a longer bolt with a lifing eye or square washer welded to a chain.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the help guys, we will be pulling this next weekend and then the following weekend putting the new used Blue Flame in, so hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks we will hear her run, still got to swap out the fuel tank.

Is the tranny drain plug very easily found? if my fat butt is gonna squeeze under to drain it I want to know what i am looking for for fast in and out.....:sign0020:

jerrspud thanks for the pics, they help alot.

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys, we will be pulling this next weekend and then the following weekend putting the new used Blue Flame in, so hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks we will hear her run, still got to swap out the fuel tank.

Is the tranny drain plug very easily found? if my fat butt is gonna squeeze under to drain it I want to know what i am looking for for fast in and out.....:sign0020:

jerrspud thanks for the pics, they help alot.
This is the only info about draining

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1955/55csm0737.html

Jerrspud pic shows the bottom of the transmission, towards the rear just in front of the tail housing extension there should should be a square head shaped nut, thats the drain plug, no filters just drain the oil.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, I am going to get it up on some jack stands this weekend and drain the tranny and try to find the tranny mounts and get them out or soaking to loosen. Then get the front mounts and all hoses so when my help comes we can hook up and hoist out. My new hoist should be here anyday now.:tu

1 - 12 of 12 Posts