Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am pretty sure my starter is going out, and I can only get rebuilt ones. Does anyone know if I can use a aftermarket starter of some sort?

Thanks

Danny C.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,691 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,668 Posts
By aftermarket do you mean like a high torque or mini high torque? Not a mini, but possibly a standard size high torque like accell use to make. The 235 starters use a specific cast iron nose. That is really the key part. For example, I have bought starters for my 57 235 where the body of the starter had the correct numbers for 57 but the nose was for a earlier caddy, and another starter where the body was from a much later motor, 60 or 70 I think, but had the correct 56 and up nose. You might be able to use a standard size high torque starter for a v-8 and just swap the nose. Frankly, I have only ever used rebuilt starters in my motors (37 years of motors) including my race motors. If you can still find a rebuilder (I still have one here in the Philadelphia area) you may be able to have them build you something like a high torque. I am not a electric guy, and I forget whether it's the generator or starter, but one of them commonly uses a shunt in place of one of the field coils (I think that's what they are called) and I think you can install field coils that are all field coils, or something like that.

·
Registered
370 Posts
my solenoid had badly worn contacts inside and was causing the starter to not function. I ordered a solenoid rebuild kit from NAPA and was back in business. Probably the last one that was made in USA too. They also have brushes too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts