Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me if a cork valve cover gasket is ok to use instead of a rubber? The reason I asked is I can only find cork and not rubber locally and the once that was used were rubber and it's time to replace it, because its dry rotted. WHen I installed the cork gasket and looked inside the oil filler hole, I noticed that the gasket is wider than the valve cover seat, it sticks about quarter inch inside. Im afraid that the cork might break in pieces as time pass and get into the engine.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I have a cork on mine, I didn't look to see if it sticks inside or not. I didn't find a rubber one anywhere. If its an issue you could just trim it to fit how you like. Mine does seep a bit, but I didn't use any sealer just the gasket, also not sure how flat my valve cover was to begin with.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I always used cork gaskets on my 54 Corvette 6 banger with no issues.

I also use strictly cork gaskets on Chevy SB and BB engines.

NEVER a problem

I absolutely hate the rubber/neoprene gaskets.

Chuck

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Cork is original and original was twice as thick as today's cheap crap :reddy:, but you can ask FOR the thicker one when you order it from the parts house like the original came as. :blowtiedb:

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I had cork on mine, leaking on both sides. When I pulled the valve covers, the old cork gaskets were in pieces. I cleaned both the heads and valve covers and replaced them with new rubber gaskets from Baxter Auto Parts, here locally. I did not use any sealers and it stopped the leaks. The new gaskets were set up for both the offset mounting screws, standard on a 56 265 V8's, and in-line pattern for the 283 V8's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts