Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between the 245 and 270 carbs, I know the 270 carbs have longer swing arms. Anything else?

·
Registered
290 Posts

When I called a fella that restores them, he asked me questions about the lid and bowl numbers and then he asked about the linkage. Whether the pass side linkage had three holes and how big the weights were as well as if there were any screws in the throtle plate.He also asked about the jets inside which are angeled and rather big. I'm not an expert but those were his questions, it just so happens, I have the original motor with carb tags and an all matching number motor with EB marking on block, which is 270 hp hi lift cam blah blah.
My tags are 2626 and 2727.
I'd call carb restoration fella and ask them.
Bob H

·
Premium Member
5,622 Posts
CARBs

I MAY BE WRONG BUT THE 2626 TAG IS THE FRONT CARB ON THE 245 HP MOTOR. THERE IS NO 2627 BUT THERE IS A 2627 REAR CARB THAT AISO IS FOR THE 245 HP . YOU WOULD NEED TO HAVE A 2613 AND 2614 FOR THE 270 HP. I THINK THE BORE FOR THE 270 IS 15/16 AND THE 245 WAS 7/8 DONT KNOW HOW TRUE THIS IS BUT THE OTHER INFO IS CORRECT. BOTH CARBS HAD 1299 AIR HORNS AND THE 049 OR 1049 MAIN BODY . HOPE THIS HELPS AT ALL
DEAN

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
In the model year 1957, there was no difference in the carburetors that came on a 245 hp vs. a 270 hp (on cars and Corvettes both). Both engines got the same exact carbs. But..... the carbs did change during the 1957 model year with longer arms, and fatter weights etc. But still, both engines got the same carb changes at the same times as the updates took place during the model year.
True 270 hp carbs that had internal differences such as angled gas dump tubes did not come until Jan. 1958, these had different tag numbers than the 245 hp carbs after that date. Of course by then there were no 270 hp passenger car engines so it was Corvette only. A very confusing subject with a ton of misinformation out there. Search on corvetteforum.com for many in depth discussions of this subject. Also the CFM of 220 hp and 245 hp and 270 hp carbs are all the same, all with the same bore and venturi diameters.

·
Premium Member
5,622 Posts
carbs

i got my info from the book chevy buy the #and the 245 carbs carry different tag and part# there is a difference in the cams 245 had hydraulic and the 270 had mechanical. other than the part and tag # being different dont know any other difference but what cjs57 said above in his post

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
In 1957 all 2x4 passenger cars and Corvettes got the same 2626S and 2627S carbs. The big confusion all comes because the the 245 hp and 270 hp carbs were different physically and had different tag numbers later on in 1958. Cams, solid vs. hyd. is a whole different story to tell!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts