Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Trifive Newsletter Editor
2,521 Posts
Funny place to mount the gas tank Tim.....Reminds me of the old Ford firewall mounted gas tank.

Never mind....I see you changed your mind :)

Thought about a gravity feed carb set up but then realized I would have to cut holes in the hood. :sign0020:

I will see if I can get some measurements next time I go to the shop.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just got my 25 gal tank and had a couple of questions:

1. Any concern with this being a bottom feed tank?

2. How are you guys plumbing the fuel line?

I was planning on running a 90 degree npt/an fitting and take a hard line vertical to the top of the tank, then bend the line to run over to the frame rail and off to the engine compartment.

Hopefully that would issolate any fuel line leaks forward the tank and I'd only have one set of fittings to deal with at the tank.

Please let me know. I'm just a beginner and want to make sure I get this right.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well I got my tank bolted in.

I guess 56 years of crud and undercoat makes it a tight squeeze. But with some scraping, scrubing, and a little massaging with a hammer it just clears between the spare tire well and frame.

Not easy to put in all by yourself. But I managed.

Now I just need to connect the filler tubing and run the new fuel lines.

I did have a problem with the air vent fitting and the bottom of the trunk floor as well. But it all worked out...with a hammer.

·
Registered
557 Posts
ill be putting mine in someday hopefully soon

·
Registered
83 Posts
Throw up a couple of pictures on this post when you have time. I would like to see it and also have the other members see both ways of installing the tank!
Will do. After I get the filler tube, vent tube hooked up I'll grab a few picks. I think the filler tube should be a nice clean install.

I bolted a peice of plywood to my jack to hold the tank and then used it to raise it into place. Go the cross member situated, put a couple temp bolts in and then scribed the lines to drill the holes to attach it. Dropped everything back out, drilled the holes and put it all back in. I couldn't convince my wife to crawl under the car and help. I also attached the fuel gauge wire and air vent tube before raising everything back in place because I didn't think I could get to it to do it after the tank was in.

I'm a little concerned about the bottom feed of the tank. I have nightmares of going away on vacation when a leak forms at that fitting and finding 25 gallons of gas in my garage or my house burned to the ground. I will run the fuel line straight up from the bottom of the tank so that it routes higher than the top of the tank to issolate that fitting. That way if there is ever a leak anywhere else in the fuel line it wont' drain the tank.

Maybe I'm paranoid but I took this project on because I had a leaky gas tank and fuel line before and really loath them entirely.

·
Registered
557 Posts
had a quick ? on the sending unit do you want it to install to one of the sides or front to back on the tank

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am still working on the best way to connect the two lines. You can see in the picture (middle right) what I have to work with.

Dale, How did it work out for you? I would like to see some pictures as a follow-up to this thread, if you can?

I am considering using this tank with a fuel injection conversion for my 55 Convertible, and since I will have to use an external fuel pump, I would like to know if the lines sit high enough that I can mount the pump on the side of the frame and get proper gravity flow to it???

If anyone with EFI using an external pump could post some pics of this tank using gravity flow to the fuel pump, it would be appreciated! :)

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Any finished pictures of what the fuel connections look like. I am getting ready to order one of the 25 gallon tanks.

·
Trifive Newsletter Editor
2,521 Posts
Any finished pictures of what the fuel connections look like. I am getting ready to order one of the 25 gallon tanks.
I went to a hose place and had them make me a 3/8 steel braided line with the correct fittings. It was $25 and well worth it!

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Did you have any issue with the vent fitting 90* hitting the trunk floor? It is not allowing the tank to bolt up to the support bracket

·
Registered
588 Posts
Did you have any issue with the vent fitting 90* hitting the trunk floor? It is not allowing the tank to bolt up to the support bracket
How much clearance do you need from what you have now? Could you space the tank down enough without it being an issue? Or depending upon where it hits, make a strategic and small dimple to get the clearance you need? Just some thoughts to consider. Not sure either would be the solution but .........it sounds like this is darned close to a fit with perhaps a small modification that the tank would hide (well, depending on where it would show up on the topside if you chose the second option. I'm interested in what you end up doing as I'm considering the same swap.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
saf57 i need about 1/4 in so i took a hammer to the floor so i think that will work. Its 110 in Phoenix right now so i am in no hurry to get out to a 112 degree garage to see how it fits! I will update with picture when i am brave enough to go out into the heat to install the tank

·
Registered
588 Posts
Wow that's warm. Sounds like it it is the time of year to sit by the pool sipping cold drinks and reading the forums. thanks for the update. Looking forward to the install detail.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are there any options for an in tank mounted pump? I see one post above mentions modifying this tank, looking for something already prepped for it. I've had the holley blue electric fuel pump before and it was pretty loud, looking for a quieter solution if I go away from the mechanical.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts