Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got about 2K miles on the engine after a complete rebuild about 6 months ago.

About a month ago the clicking started.

It only happens on start up on a cold engine and stops in about 1-3 minutes. At first I thought it was low on oil, but it's full. And the oil is very clean.

I'm pretty sure it has hydraulic lifters and not solid ones, so I assume that one of them isn't pumping up until the engine warms up. It's either that or a I have a clogged push rod. I suspect that I have some dirt or something causing the problem.

Short of tearing it apart and cleaning it, I've heard that adding a little (half quart) of automatic tranmission fluid (non-synthetic) to the oil might clear the problem since transmission fluid is a better hydraulic fluid. The hope is that it will flush out whatever is causing the problem.

Has anyone heard of this?

Is there a down side to trying this? -- any risk of gumming up the engine?

Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I have heard of people doing this, but with only 2000 miles on the engine, I don't think I would. It could be that one of your rocker arms is just a little looser than it should be and once the engine warms up a little the metal expands and takes out the slack and it stops ticking, or it may just be a bad new lifter. It does happen. I would doubt that you have a blockage as that would be rare I think on an new engine. I'd check the adjustment first, then if that don't work, I'd find which lifter was tapping and change it out. It's easy for me to say because I do all my own work and changing lifters is like changing socks for me, but I'm guessing you would have to take it somewhere since you don't know what type of lifters it has in it. Good luck and sorry for your problem. Maybe others have a few better ideas

·
Premium Member
13,073 Posts
I just want to tell you what happen to my 55 ---i kind of had the same thing happen ,,,but i found out it was a bad exhaust gasket put a new one in and the tap went away ,,,at first i thought it was a lifter or something because when it warmed up it would go away and when cold it sounded like a tapping noise ,,for whats its worth ------:anim_25:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've decided to see if this is just a run-in problem. I'm going to give it a good romp this weekend and put some hours on the engine. Around town it's hard to get it up to speed and hold it there very long -- this may be a case of the engine still not being broken in. It's possible that the oil is draining down at night and on a cold morning, it just takes longer to get the oil up the push rods.
Will keep you informed.
I'm going to hold off on the tranmission fluid for now.
-- D

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Dennis....If your sure it is lifter noise I would adjust the rockers first. If it were my enigine I would not add any ATF or any other such fluids in a new engine.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I agree with the last poster. First check your valve adjustment and no fluids for a new engine. This is an easy way to do it. Warm the engine then with number 1 cylinder in firing position you can adjust Exhaust valves 1,3,4,8 and intake 1,2,5,7, then crank engine one full turn this place number 6 cylinder in firing position then you can adjust Exhaust valves 2,5,6,7, and Intake valves 3,4,6,8.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts