Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 265 and Powerglide from a 56 Chev wagon. Original to the car, never been apart. (Till I cut the body off) I noticed this plate in between the block and the transmission. I plan on using this motor in my 57 wagon. I may use this powerglide, but im not sure yet. I'm assuming a 350/400/700R trans will bolt directly to the block, Whats up with the plate in there now?

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,788 Posts
EB...What you are referring to is an adaptor plate.....You will not use it when bolting-up a later transmission, such as a TH-350, or 700-R4.

However, you will need a starter adaptor plate, because there are no starter bolt holes in the 56, 265 block....See link and photo below:http://www.danchuk.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=10100

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I think I'll have the powerglide gone through and use it. That way I have everything I need to get the engine and trans installed.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,788 Posts
EB....Personally, I would not bother having an original PG rebuilt, unless you were doung a purely stock rebuild on the car.....Put in a 700-R4 and enjoy the difference in the ride....Less noise and wear and tear on the engine....Better MPG as well....Drives more like a modern-day car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts