Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I just bought a 56 210 project and it came with a 265 V8 casting number 370524 looked it up and its 1955 car or corvette no oil filter Just wondering if I struck gold LOL Im not going to be using it so just wondering what it might be worth

Thanks, Al

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Might be worth something if you find the right guy who is doing a full restoration. It would depend on the stamping and date code and on how much of it, heads, intake etc. are also correct date code. I wouldn't say you have struck gold.

7,082 Posts
Worth very little and only if you can find someone needing those numbers. almost no demand for 265s. Sorry. :bowtier:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just my luck boat anchor!!!!! kind of cool I've never seen a block with no place for an oil filter

·
Administrator
63,451 Posts
The block No you listed is missing a number for a 1955 block it should read: 3703524

The front pad: F55F Flint Engine Plant 1955 F = Powerglide

Not sure of the other stamped numbers 2174, by the look of the condition it may have been a reconditioned engine.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
If you have room for storage, you need to hold on to it. It is worth something to somebody somewhere. The oil pan is specific to the 55 as is the intake. If you have other items on it such as the starter,generator and fly wheel, you can part it out. :anim_25: bowtie-trifive :gba:

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
I stuck with the original 265 in my 55. Probably a little more expensive to rebuild, not as powerful as the 283s on up but very cool in my opinion to have been the engine that gave birth to the Small Block Chevy.

Mine has the optional oil filter (which can be added to any 55 block).

Just a joy to drive like any other SBC!

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
no starter and its an after market intake but oil pan looks right
If it don`t have an oil filter it will only fit 55. Could be worth as much as $75.00 if someone needs it. :anim_25:bowtie-trifive:gba:

·
Registered
27,727 Posts
I would hang onto it. You never know what you may come up with car wise later. Besides its good trade, swap, barter material. My friend got a 55 Bel Air with 396 needed a 265. Mike.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I know most people dont like to run the 265 and would rather run the bigger engines,but IMO the little 265 has that certain cool factor to it ,so thats why I kept mine.:tu

·
Registered
65,816 Posts
save it? probably will never do anything with it. been there, done that. :damnmate:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Don't sell that 65 short, they do have enough beans to pull around my '56 , quick revving and works fine with the Muncie !!

·
Administrator
8,307 Posts

A 55 265 in my 57. It was a warranty replacement block and never had the VIN or any other numbers stamped on the pad. It was cast in January 57. The reason I have it is that it is different that most everyone else's engine.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts