Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guy's,
If I was to have my 57 judged in the concoarse section for originality (where they are judged out of 1000 points), would I have to have a 57 283 with the engine number stamping "EB" before it could be considered as a 270hp engine. I already have the correct heads, intake manifold, carter carbs, bat wing aircleaner, deep groove pully, special fuel pump, 891 dist and the exhaust manifolds. Before I get too carried away and get the 283 block rebuilt, and then find out that it is cruicial to have the special numbered block. The gentleman that I had purchased the 57 from had told me that he had bought it from the original owner as a 270hp engine but sold the engine and started to build a BB chev for it. He never got around to finishing it off and I subsiquently bought the 57 less engine. He did give me a 57 engine that came from his convertible he was modifying. I have checked it out and it is all 57 but only a 220hp engine.
Many thanks for anyones help,
Peter.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I would say you need the EB stamp. That's not from experience. I understand with that type of judging everything has to be perfect. even the type of bolts used. I could be wrong here if so let us know... Peter

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I would think for 1,000 point judging, you would need the right stamping, and the dates on the parts should all be proportionate, and the date stamp should coincide with the build date of your car. That also goes for anything with a date - rear end, generator, carbs, distributor, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
date stamp

Actually I think the date stamp should be 1 month before the car if the car was built during the first 2 weeks of the month and dated the same month if the car was built during the last two weeks of the month. also date codes on heads and intake must match. I saw a 59 2-4 intake that the date code was under the heat shield on the bottom side of intake. I think you could deck the block and restamp the engine code but you'd still need the date code block

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Do you have the correct Carter WCFB's for the 270hp? Reason I say this is that there were many variations, the tags for the later 57 carbs is 2626S & 2627S. There are other differences too, like the length of the secondary counter weights were short for the 245hp and longer for the 270hp. You cant rely on the casting numbers, as these were proliferated in later models, some say the 270hp had vertical chopped brass horns, and some also say only the front carb was like it. Of course, the front carb will not have a choke provision for either hp option.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
carbs

if you have the brass tags on the carbs the 270 hp would say part # 2613s front carb 2614s rear carb and only came on the passenger / corvette cars with that # for 1957 and 1958 - 61 corvette .chevy part # 2626s and 2627s were 245 hp only. all had 0-049 or 0-1049 main body and all had 6-1299 air horns with the only possible very early air horn # of 6-1203 on the 245 hp only. hope this helps
dean

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts
I read some where that they only take 1 point off for a certain item. If the rest of the car is done to 999 and you have lost that 1 point it would be better than not having the car at the show. So just as a question, how many points can you loose by not having the correct block code? If the correct block/ date is not available would you not finish the car? My feeling is to get the car all together and enjoy it and keep a lookout for the block/ date code, good day.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've got an original 270hp motor complete with tags on carbs, they are 2626 & 2627 and the tags are august 57 as well as the casting on the block is august. It's got the EB on the block and the 997 heads as well as the batwing. The car that it was in was rolled over and the batwing is dented is all. The motor was bought for $250 dollars and it came out of a 57 convertible. That's what I was told by the fella that bought it in 1963 from the local salvage/wrecking yard. I've had the carbs looked at and they are the 270 hp carbs, all parts on motor are matching numbers.
I have a judging book by classic chevy, and the numbers are listed for the judging class, as the EB tells it's a 270 hi lift cam, with standard transmission. I would think you'd have to have the stamping to verify what the car has for drivetrain. My two cents, Bob

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
carbs

hay bob do you have the book buy the # it is listed that the motor you have eb is a 270 hp but the book said the carbs you have only came on the 245 hp motor. is the book wrong i would like to know so when some one asks me about my dual carb motor i can give the wright info. not saying you are wrong because i have had wrong info from books before. may be some one else will chime in and pit there two cents in just like we did. thanks dean

·
Registered
170 Posts
From what has been presented in other threads, and in doing my own research, it appears that the only 2x4 carbs offered on a passenger car for the 1957 model year were 2626 & 2627 carbs with the short length air valves. The longer air auxillary valves were offered for the 1958 passenger cars and Corvettes, and those 270 HP carbs had the 45 degree angle cut on the venturi's with a tag stamp of 2613 & 2614.

To be correct for a 57 car, the 270 HP carbs are the same as what was on the 245 HP versions. Both were 2626 & 2627 numbers on the brass tags, and the 270 HP version had a high-lift cam with solid lifters.

The EB code needs to be on the block to validate a 270 HP engine, which has the single tower 3740997 heads and the deep groove pulleys on the water pump, crank (single piece and not with a bolt on pulley until after January 1957), and generator. The are numerous minor variations to be completely correct (e.g. the deep groove pulley on the generator has to have the 6 little "dimples" in the center, whereas the 1956 versions were plain, etc).

There were different generator mounting brackets and support brackets if the car had power steering. These special brackets (available repo) place the generator farther away from the exhaust manifold so that the batwing air cleaner can clear.

The 891 dual point distributor is required, along with the "circle 8" bracket that mounts to it for the coil and plug wires.

The fuel pump is a 4346 long screw item with AC on the top. I've seen a few 3/8 fuel pumps on passenger cars with a 4262 passenger car top and, a 180 degree, opposite inlet bottom from a 4346, which is for the Corvette. This 4262 and 4346 combo may or may not be entirely correct, as it probably depended on the assembly plant I reckon.

The fuel filter (which is dated underneath the top on the originals) needs to be the domed version with a large AC in the middle and a stone filter (not paper). The smaller size AC ones that look similar are for T-Birds.

All in all, it's an interesting project to build a correct 1957 270 HP passenger car engine. I'm glad I'm finally finished with that project and can now work on the rest of the car.

BTW, my casting date codes for the rear end, starter, bellhousing, close ratio 3 sp tranny, and block are all within two weeks of each other, the earliest being the rear end from Buffalo that had a November 1st, stamped date and was installed in a mid-November built car from the Oakland assembly plant. It apparently took a week or so to get across country by train.

·
Administrator
67,963 Posts
Pete down here you probably wouldnt be able to tell unless you are a real enthusiate, if all else fails a grinder and a stamping set should do the trick :sign0020:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
57 BA is totally correct on all the carb data! Lots of misinformation from earlier books and on the internet about 245 vs 270 hp carbs so unless you really get deep into the data it is easy to get it wrong at first glance. One little thing is that there were no 1958 passenger car 283/270 hp engines so the "true" 2613/2614 270 hp carbs are only found on Corvettes made after Jan.1958. All 1957 Chevy passenger cars got the same carburetors whether 245 or 270 hp. Confusion comes because the 2626S and 2627S carbs had "during the model" year changes that make people think that some carbs were for 270 hp cars. But all 245 and 270 cars and Vettes got the same carbs during any given production day in 1957. I don't think judges will be able to pick up on these little mid year changes. As far as the date codes, the Corvette folks allow up to 3 months before assembly date on any part. But.... most all cars were actually much closer that that, they just have to allow for the exception. The block must be stamped with EB. There are people who do that so well it is near impossible to tell. The broach marks are harder to duplicate but that is available too. But again. After you deck the block it will loose some metal and the shorter crankshaft centerline to deck height will always reveal a redone block! Gotta tear down the engine to check it so who cares.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thumper, you are the Steven Hawkins of the Chevy world. I bow graciously to you sir.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CJS57, how does the 2X4's go as compaired to a single 4 barrell?? Do you notice the fuel consumption in say local city driving as to the country driving. I have read alot of books on the stats and they all say how it greatly reduces fuel consumption but they do not mention just how hard was the engine pushed and for how long. The odd foot to the floor to open her up and blow out the cob webs should not empty the fuel tank in minutes right?

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I cant even entertain the idea of a grinder and my 57 ever meeting. As to the stamp set, not a good idea either as if you were to meet me you would see, but I wouldn't. I wear pretty thick glasses, so a hammer in my hand could be dangerious to all concerned.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
CJS57, how does the 2X4's go as compaired to a single 4 barrell?? Do you notice the fuel consumption in say local city driving as to the country driving. I have read alot of books on the stats and they all say how it greatly reduces fuel consumption but they do not mention just how hard was the engine pushed and for how long. The odd foot to the floor to open her up and blow out the cob webs should not empty the fuel tank in minutes right?
Pete, The 2x4's are a big noticeable increase in power. Suprisingly, even at rpms as low as 1800. I have done extensive sotp testing with the original 1x4 vs 2x4 and also just running the rear carb only on the 2x4's. My car gets 12 mpg around town with agressive driving. It gets 16 mpg on the highway, again with lots WOT and with a OD 5-speed. I do believe I could get 20 mpg from it at say 55 mph and a light foot. There is no downside to the factory stock 2x4's that I can see! Smooth idle, floor it with smooth lug out at any rpm even as low as 1200. The sound at WOT is incredible through the 1957 Corvette air cleaners.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CJS57,

thanks for letting me know about the 2X4 experience. I am nearly drowning in my own drool just looking at your profile picture with the 2X4 setup. I only wish I had the cash to do that to my 57 that is on the road at the moment. Its a stock 57 Belair 4 door sedan with a 4 barrel carb. What would you know, a mortgage and kids are in the way at the moment. The eldest two kids are boys with very high intrest in Chevs. It is all looking up.

·
Registered
510 Posts
about restamping a block: it used to be common practice to deck a block and restamp but judges are a lot smarter these days. there are distinct broach marks left on the # pad from factory machining and the ones left by todays machining methods are different. i don't remember exactly but one is circular and one isn't? the ncrs and bloomington guys will pick that out everytime. at least with corvettes it will kill your chances for a top flight or gold certificate. i'm sure the tri 5 judges are just as current. ( sorry, but it looks like i mispelled machining? don't have a dictonary handy and at 61 it's close enough for me)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Bam Bam,

I've got the Chevy by the numbers book and it says the 270hp carbs were as noted by others, 2613 & 2614. That is wrong to what I've seen, and as noted by 57 BA describes so well. The 2626 & 2627 are the only 270hp carbs I've seen on EB stamped blocks. If anyone has an EB block with 2613 & 2614 carbs with tags, I'd like to know, cause I've only seen 26 27 carbs on 270hp motors. I just feel so blessed to have the tags on the carbs as well as the whole motor matching numbers. Back in the day , I think if they ran out of parts they made do with what they had and who knows other than the experts and I'm not one.
Bob

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Chevy by the Numbers book has many other errors as well from what I have heard. Still a good book but in this case it doesn't get deep enough. Those 2613 and 2614 carbs are correct for the 270 hp engine. But...... only after January 1958. Before that date, all 1957 2x4 engines got the 2626 and 2627 carbs because the later carbs were not invented yet!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts