Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 283 in my 57. My son and I are thinking of rebuilding the 283 it's stock. came out of a 65 impala and I swapped all the parts off the original V-8 (265 I think) back when I was my sons age and dropped this one in. We have driven it a few times. Engine runs strong but compression is anywhere from 120-145 on the cylinders. It smokes but it is mostly a carb problem. Anyway, is it worth rebuilding the 283, or switching to a 327 or 350? I know the 283 is a solid engine and served Chevy well for years, but I am wanting to add power steering, and ac (eventually). Not having the bolt holes on the head make that task a bit more difficult. I know it is all doable but we are trying to keep to our budget.

·
Registered
887 Posts
If all you want is the accessory bolt holes, a set of 80s small chamber 305 HO heads will be a good match for a 283 and have your bolt holes.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I am using a 66 283 out of an Impala with 265 exhaust manifolds and have 81 305 heads, works well. The 283 block I am using is bored .060” over. I am using the 66 intake with a 4GC. Only parts from a 265 are exhaust manifolds and pipes, motor mounts, generator.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
283 pistons are more costly than 327/350 pistons. Just don't make as many anymore. If you go rebuild route it may cost less to rebuild a 327/350.

·
Registered
68,433 Posts
love a 327 i had in a 55. but the 350 i have in my 56 is great. so many parts available for it too ( for power steering, brakes, etc.).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good food for thought. I was thinking that because the car is so heavy that a bit more power that a 327 or 350 provides would be the route to go. But building on a budget has it's drawbacks. I am not interested in high performance thing just a daily cruiser but if we need a little extra oomph we have it. The cast iron powerglide is going. It works great but leaks like crazy. So I am going with a th350 behind whatever sbc we decide on. I know those have draw backs as well and people love the 700r but th350 are easier to find in my area. The add ons are really after thoughts. we have to build this to please my wife as well because she wants to drive it too!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Where did you find that. I have looked at Summit and JEGS and I don't see anything.
The last I heard they had a problem sourcing core to rebuild, had a guy with an order in jegs and autoxone and still is waiting….. call ahead.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I bought one of these long blocks about 4 years ago, and at that time the price was about $1700 with free delivery. The price has since gone up by about $1000. Still, I think that is a good price for a new 4 bolt main 350 engine. It is not high performance, but is great for cruising. I dressed mine with original 1956/ 1957 components to obtain a period correct looking engine. here is a current link:

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Having done both in the last 6-7 years, my experience was that parts were noticeably more expensive for a 327 vs a 350. For a streetable driver, unless you're looking for the panache of saying you've got a 327, you can save a few bucks rebuilding a 350.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Stocker cast piston builds 350 pistons are dirt cheap. If you need a crank 350 new is about the cost to turn a 327.Either way is better than the two most boring words in todays car scene "383 stroker" or 'LS".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts