Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I think it would be best if I replace my exhaust manifold bolts as they have seen better days. Does anybody know what the specs are for this bolt? Are they 3/8 - 16 UNC, grade 5 or 8, heat treated? I can't even read the heads for grade on any of these old ones at all they are so rough.

I know I need 2 longs for the centers and 4 shorts for each end of the exhaust.

Just looking for a recommendation for the best bolt replacement set if there is one. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I used stainless steel bolts with anti-seize compound on my exhaust manifolds. I'm not saying it's the best, but haven't had any trouble with them.

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
Go with the grd.8 bolts and stainless. 2in. long for the outboards and 2 1/2 in. long for the inboard bolts w/ split washers.Don't forget the anti-seize as per previous post. Torque to 25 ft. lbs. Good luck.
Big Bob:flag4::bowtieb:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Stainless Grade 8? Where do you get those? My local auto parts would laugh at me if I suggested such an animal existed.

Not saying it's a bad idea, just never seen 'um before. (life in a small town)

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I`m using Caterpillar grade 8, zinc-dichromate 12 point bolts in my application
Caterpillar dealership should have them.

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
Check the catalog @ www.arp-bolts.com They have the stainless steel and chrome moly bolts from 1/2 in. to 6 in. underhead length bolts in hex or 12 point head.Good luck.
Big Bob:flag4::bowtier:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts