Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for another seat-related question, but I'm trying to get to the bottom of why my back seat doesn't seem to fit and I'm wondering if it's a 2dr back seat.

It seems to taper in at the bottom of the backrest so there is a gap of about two inches from the metalwork. Also, it has a screwhole/tab at each end on the bottom, but no corresponding holes in the car.

'57 4dr HT

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Sorry for another seat-related question, but I'm trying to get to the bottom of why my back seat doesn't seem to fit and I'm wondering if it's a 2dr back seat.

It seems to taper in at the bottom of the backrest so there is a gap of about two inches from the metalwork. Also, it has a screwhole/tab at each end on the bottom, but no corresponding holes in the car.

'57 4dr HT
These are two door hardtop rear springs.
Also for sale.

·
Registered
38,740 Posts
The difference between a 2 door sedan rear seat and a 4 door sedan rear seat is that the bottom cushion has square corners at the front for the 2 door, and the bottom cushion has rounded corners for the 4 door.

I assume that the 4 door ht seat is similar, but there may be other differences that I'm not aware of.

Notice that the 2 door hardtop seat in the photo is narrowed for the armrests except at the top.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bihili, shame they are not 4dr seats, I'd be all over them.

ChevMan, I would, but the car is in the local trans shop having the PG rebuilt. I should get it back in 2-3 weeks, so I'll post pictures then. Definitely different to those picture posted above though.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here are a couple of pictures I took before I stripped the covering and sponge. Do you see that gap between the bodywork and the seat? It that normal?

·
Registered
38,740 Posts
That's not normal. Question is why.

There are a couple of square holes in the middle of the floor under the seat. There is a sheet metal cup that goes in each one. The seat frame has a pair of wire loops that fit tightly in those cups. It's possible that the seat is not down in the cups. Or maybe you have the wrong seat, but that's not likely, because it probably wouldn't fit down that far.

·
Administrator
50,547 Posts
I would say they are the correct seats from what i can tell in the pic since they have the rounded corners which a 4dr seat bottom has.
Terry

·
Administrator
50,547 Posts
That's not normal. Question is why.
Actually that small gap is normal and will be filled in by the carpet and padding.
Terry

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Woah, those pics were BIG! Sorry 'bout that...

I've shrunk the images down and highlighted the gap I'm talking about. I don't think this will be filled with padding as there is padding on these seats when the pic was taken, albeit old padding.

Is there something missing from this gap our are these the wrong seats? As I mentioned before, in the corner where the seat back disappears down behind the seat bottom there is a tab with a screw hole for fixing it down, but I can see no corresponding hole in the bodywork for it. I hope to have the car back in a couple of weeks so I'll take some more pics now the covering and foam is gone.

·
Administrator
50,547 Posts
The gap looks excessive. Is the frame bent in? Does the other side have the same gap? The tab on the bottom originally was held on with a metal tab that bent over, no screw there.
Terry

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gap is equal both sides so no bent frame.

Does anyone here have a pic of a fully upholstered 4dr HT that they can post so I can see the difference.

I just won a set of used seat covers on eBay, so I guess I'll find out when they arrive if the seat is right...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.