Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to think I may not have enough room on the firewall for the hydraulic clutch master cylinder. I started mocking up the brake M/C, prop valve, and line loc solenoid and I am running out of room.
Judging by where the clutch m/c is supposed to mount on firewall, my super comp headers seem to be in the way. Instructions for the tri five tremec install and hyd. clutch M/C are in the folks' storage room, which is now filled to the gills with furniture due to some flooding in their basement, so I won't be getting to them very soon. Would you guys be kind enough to show me where you mounted your hyd. clutch M/C? If it matters, it's the 3/4" bore wilwood m/c.
Thanks in advance fellas.

·
12,256 Posts
Yes, I built it so I could keep the MC under the dash off of the firewall. I used a bellcrank so I could keep it up near the firewall where it's more accessible...as far as I can tell anyhow. ;)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks chevynut. Anyone else? How about Earle Williams pedal upgrade kit? With their indexable crank arm, it shouldn't be too difficult to mount a clutch m/c on the pedal housing assembly....Any thoughts? Just trying to do my research so I can get it right the first time.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Spoke with Earle Williams yesterday. Ordered the pedal upgrade components for the clutch pedal assembly, splined shaft, splined arm and other pieces to complete the pedal upgrade.
I asked Earle if he had done any R&D on a hydraulic setup for the '57, and he expressed his lack of faith with hydraulic setups, focusing on the mechanical linkage instead. Using the TKO 600, our options are limited for anything mechanically actuated.
I'm thinking this might be do-able. The geometry won't be affected. There appears to be firewall clearance. Having it mounted low will allow a remote external reservoir out on the firewall. Other than having to build a stout bracket, I think it's possible. Once I weld in the upgrade kit I'll play around with the orientation of the clutch m/c relative to the clocking position of the crank arm. I don't think having the m/c hang so low is a good idea, but it leaves me more options with placement of the remote reservoir. I ask you engineers here: does it look feasable?

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts