Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
column or floor shift...?

Would I see any difference in changing out a 3 speed for a 4 speed
Floor shift no problem, if your 3 spd is currently a column shift, simply remove column shift and then install 4 spd shifter in floor board onto your new 4 spd. Clutch linkage should remain same if you don't have to replace the bell housing to accomodate your new 4 spd. :tu good luck... BDR :cool:

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Four speeds is a great addition to your ride. But the shifter is expensive, unless your running bucket seats.

·
Registered
652 Posts
It depends on what difference you mean. An older 3 speed and 4 speed will still have a final ratio of 1:1. That means a 4 speed doesn't necessarily give you more final gear, but rather just more gears to get to what you already have.
If your goal is to get lower rpm in your final gear, an overdrive is the only way to achieve that, unless you changed the gears.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It depends on what difference you mean. An older 3 speed and 4 speed will still have a final ratio of 1:1. That means a 4 speed doesn't necessarily give you more final gear, but rather just more gears to get to what you already have.
If your goal is to get lower rpm in your final gear, an overdrive is the only way to achieve that, unless you changed the gears.
Yeah, what he said^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
652 Posts
Sorry, I just realized my last sentence was confusing. I meant to say that the only way to get lower RPMs on the highway without adding overdrive is the change the gears "in the rear end."

Brandon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts