Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Thinking about getting the overdrive working on my 55 chevy. The first big hurdle is a bracket that mount on the tranny that attaches to the cable in the car. I see where the cable stops and looks like it might have been cut, but it leads to nowhere. Any idea where a guy can find one? Also a friend of mine has a junkyard, he says he has a 3 speed w/od tranny out of a early 60's chevy. Are they the same thing? When did gm change trannys?

Thanks,
Jake

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey guys,

Thinking about getting the overdrive working on my 55 chevy. The first big hurdle is a bracket that mount on the tranny that attaches to the cable in the car. I see where the cable stops and looks like it might have been cut, but it leads to nowhere. Any idea where a guy can find one? Also a friend of mine has a junkyard, he says he has a 3 speed w/od tranny out of a early 60's chevy. Are they the same thing? When did gm change trannys?

Thanks,
Jake
1. memory serves me right, that GM didn't go to the Saginaw ODs until the late 60s. the early 60s used the same 3 speed, only had a different output shaft length and used a crossmember. most of the parts are the same as the tii-fives.

might check some of the parts stores, such as NAPA or others that support repair shops (not the chains such as autozone, etc.) you might find a cable that would work from another application or make (ford, etc with a OD, or maybe even a hand/cable throttle that was used on some Ford PI cop cars in the early 70s.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts