Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 307/200-4r idles around 800, drives fine, but when i go to slow down to a light it starts to hesitate, and the rpm's drop to like 300 and barely stays running. Even backfires on occasion. Once i start driving again its fine. Any ideas?

thanks

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
My 307/200-4r idles around 800, drives fine, but when i go to slow down to a light it starts to hesitate, and the rpm's drop to like 300 and barely stays running. Even backfires on occasion. Once i start driving again its fine. Any ideas?

thanks
what carb do u hav on her ? Sounds like carby problems, Sounds like it needs some fine tuning?
Again what carbs on motor?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
thanks
That sounds like your transmission is staying in converter lock-up. The lock up solenoid may be stopped up or stuck. I'm fighting the same problem with a newly rebuilt 700R4.
When you first put it in gear, does it try to stall the engine or is it only after you drive it?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what carb do u hav on her ? Sounds like carby problems, Sounds like it needs some fine tuning?
Again what carbs on motor?
I believe its a holley 650. And, it doesnt stall out until after iv driven it for a bit. Once it warms up is when the problems occur.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
That sounds like the Torque converter lock up solenoid is sticking closed after it is energized. The torque converter has a hydralic operated clutch much like a manual transmission clutch, that locks the engine and transmission together solid. If it doesn't release when it should, it can stall the engine.
The lock up solenoid has the wires on it, in the lower left of this picture.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That sounds like the Torque converter lock up solenoid is sticking closed after it is energized. The torque converter has a hydralic operated clutch much like a manual transmission clutch, that locks the engine and transmission together solid. If it doesn't release when it should, it can stall the engine.
The lock up solenoid has the wires on it, in the lower left of this picture.

Im kinda narrowing it down to a few possibilities, timing is off(im backfiring a bit through the carb i think), carb is off, maybe my vacuum switch for the lockup is turned to low.

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts
When my 88 wagon locked up after coming off the highway and stalled I ended up putting it into neutral before coming to a stop and then when I got it home I disconnected the power to the solenoid until I had the trany rebuilt. Good day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts