Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rolleyes: What is wrong with people? Why is everyone always trying to scam someone? Why? I just don't understand. :confused0024: :motz: :banghead: :mad:

Here's the add: http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/1958227277.html

UP FOR SALE IS THE REAL DEAL 1962 CHEVY CORVETTE 327 C.I. 250 H.P. BARE BLOCK. THIS HAS BEEN IN STORAGE FOR MANY YEARS. I ALSO HAVE THE FILTER HOUSING AND OIL PAN TO GO WITH IT. THIS WOULD BE GREAT FOR YOUR MISSING BLOCK. DATE CODE IS OCT 1ST '61. EARLY 327 BLOCK-SUPER RARE. PRICE IS $2000 OR BEST OFFER. CALL 832-285-6435

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
of course there is no picture of the engine code on the pass side front......
hmm, my best offer would be about, um, 25.00 and you ship it for free. then my wife could use it for a planter !!!

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
For one there is no way to prove its a Vette moter from the info provided. People are always truing to pass parts off a Corvette that have not been near a vette since they left the showroom. lt looks like an overpriced boat anchor to me.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
A serious restorer looking for correct date coded block for his 62 Vette knows how to verify the numbers. Again, if you need this block for your restoration the price is not excessive. This is not for your average buyer just looking for a block for a tri-five project...this is for a Vette guy who needs this block for his restoration project. Again, I just don't see the scam here. But my 60 Vette has the original motor so maybe it's just me. I know if it was a 58 Vette block my brother would be all over it for his 58. When we looked for a correct 4 speed for my brothers 58 they were going for $5,000. Hows that for a hit? Can't run with the big dogs.... stay on the porch:sign0020:

Don

BTW if the block has been decked and the numbers are not clearly seen on the right side of the block in front of the head bearing the 2 sets of id numbers as they relate to Corvette then yes...this is just another 327 block with little value.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Goodness gracious; I just bought one identical to this with the same block number for $150 already bored .30 over and cleaned. My buddy found two of them for $175 each. He bought both of them. This price is excessive...Bill

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
A guy that was looking for the right date code might pay more. Certainly one that had a stamped code for the high performance options like the 340 hp and the 360 hp (with FI).

A friend of mine has a 62 Corvette with a 340 hp engine. He has shown some interest in making it numbers matching (a few pieces aren't). He has shown me ads, etc., for numbers matching components. You can definitely buy this stuff from certain sources. They don't get $2000 for a block either, certainly not one with a 250 hp stamping on it.

So yes I think this is a scammer, or at the best, a dreamer.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A serious restorer looking for correct date coded block for his 62 Vette knows how to verify the numbers. Again, if you need this block for your restoration the price is not excessive. This is not for your average buyer just looking for a block for a tri-five project...this is for a Vette guy who needs this block for his restoration project. Again, I just don't see the scam here. But my 60 Vette has the original motor so maybe it's just me. I know if it was a 58 Vette block my brother would be all over it for his 58. When we looked for a correct 4 speed for my brothers 58 they were going for $5,000. Hows that for a hit? Can't run with the big dogs.... stay on the porch:sign0020:

Don

BTW if the block has been decked and the numbers are not clearly seen on the right side of the block in front of the head bearing the 2 sets of id numbers as they relate to Corvette then yes...this is just another 327 block with little value.
The ONLY time this block would not be a scam (it would still be a rip off price) is if a person had the ACTUAL corvette that this came out of and truely wanted the original 327 block for it. But then you only have the block and not the heads and everything else that is "original." Otherwise it's just a 327 block. So, IMO, it's a scam. A total ripoff. Big dogs or not, it's a just 327 block.

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
For a 62 model, there is no link between the engine and the car except that the date code must be logical. In other words the engine parts should have been cast 2-6 weeks prior to the car's actual assembly date. So that's all that needs to match to make it "look" right. Along with the stamped code for the hp level the rest of the engine parts are for.

And as I said, that's worth something to some people.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Has anyone besides me ever noticed things like if a casting was used on Impala & Corvette it is always advertised as Corvette. For example 327 Fuelie heads. I bet most of them have never been within 100 yards of a fuel injected 327.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
For a 62 model, there is no link between the engine and the car except that the date code must be logical. In other words the engine parts should have been cast 2-6 weeks prior to the car's actual assembly date. So that's all that needs to match to make it "look" right. Along with the stamped code for the hp level the rest of the engine parts are for.

And as I said, that's worth something to some people.
Rick

Per my copy of Noland Adams restoration guide for the C1 Corvettes the 1962 Corvette's Vin number is stamped into the block in the first position preceded by the number "2" INDICATING IT'S A 1962 on the pad located forward of the right side head. That is followed by a second number beginning with the letter "F" stamp for the Flint plant and then followed by the production date and letters indicating hp and other performance info. Sorry I'm at home and my copy of Noland's book is in my office so I am trying to go by memory as I read it this morning.

Don

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
Is that for Corvettes only and not for Chevys in general? The sequence number is VERY short on all the 60s blocks I've ever seen. I don't think it can be the VIN or even an abbreviation. Can't say I've seen too many Corvettes that were known to be the original engine.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Rick

If you have an interest in this, tomorrow when I get to my office I will provide the exact quote and page number from Noland's book. But I am certain about the VIN number being a part of the first of two series of numbers stamped into the engines I.D. pad and this is how it appears on my 1960 Corvette's original motor as well as everyone I have examined with it's original motor still installed. In his restoration guide Noland includes photos of examples of correctly stamped pads and explains the decoding of these numbers. I can't speak to other models as I only have an interest in C-1 Corvettes and my reference literature is for these models and years.

BTW If you've never heard of Noland Adams he is the paramour of the Corvette restoration world. Like Harold Louisiana and Denny Williams of Tri-five fame, His restoration guides are highly regarded among the "Bibles" used in Bloomington grade quality Corvette restorations.

Don

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
Don't go to a lot of trouble but it is a curiosity item for me.

I don't know what year most Chevys had a VIN or derivative on the stamped pad, but if I'm thinking right, it's MUCH later than the early 60s.

My friend's 62 has a CE code block, which means it's a factory replacement engine from sometime in the late 60s or later. As I understand it, "CE" is "crate engine" and doesn't tell you anything about what it is, could be any hp option or engine size they offered. So obviously it's no help.

·
Registered
14,244 Posts
Rick

Per my copy of Noland Adams restoration guide for the C1 Corvettes the 1962 Corvette's Vin number is stamped into the block in the first position preceded by the number "2" INDICATING IT'S A 1962 on the pad located forward of the right side head. That is followed by a second number beginning with the letter "F" stamp for the Flint plant and then followed by the production date and letters indicating hp and other performance info. Sorry I'm at home and my copy of Noland's book is in my office so I am trying to go by memory as I read it this morning.

Don
Then this block for sale would be worthless because it wouldnt be matching numbers to any other vette than the vette it came out of.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Then this block for sale would be worthless because it wouldnt be matching numbers to any other vette than the vette it came out of.
Yes unless of course you happen to own "the" Corvette and it currently has no engine or a NOM resting between it's frame rails. At that point I would guess the seller could name his price. I have seen NOM motors deduct low five figure numbers from the retail value of C-1 Vettes.

Don

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Rick,

My reference material is Noland Adams "The complete Corvette restoration and technical guide vol. 1, 1953 through 1962". Second edition, third printing. Copyright 1987. I quote page 332:

"The vehicle identification number, or VIN, was stamped on a pad on the right-front corner of each engine which also contained the engine assembly date and horsepower codes."

Further page 331 has a photo of a 1962 Corvette engine ID pad bearing the numbers 2104277 F1212RE. Noland breaks down these numbers as follows. I quote.

"The first number -"2"- indicates 1962, the last six digits begin the serial number. The "F" indicates the flint assembly plant location, the "1212" is date of assembly (December 12th). The letters "RE" indicate manual transmission and high performance engine, in this case the four-speed and 340 hp".

So apparently the 1962 Corvette engine ID pads tell more about the engine then most.

Don

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I'm afraid I can not be of help as my reference books are only for 1953-1962 Corvettes. I believe this is not a motor that falls into this category due to the letter appearing in the first position of the first number shown. Sorry, I'm sure some of the other members who know more about engine numbers then I will jump in here.

Don

1 - 20 of 20 Posts