Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a problem with the 327 in my 55. I don't have a history on the car but it was said to have been sitting for several years. It initially ran pretty good with some fresh gas and a carb rebuild, but after running it several times it started to miss severely, long story short it had bent all but three intake push rods. It seems that when there is a lot of varnish in the fuel(from sitting so long) the varnish started to accumulate on the intake valve stems, causing them to stick in the valve guide and hang the valve open to come in contact with the pistons and bend the push rods:mad: The eng. was leaking oil and smoking anyway, after I pulled it out and tore it down I found this baby had been around the block a few times, It had two different pistons than the rest, quarter size peice of cylinder wall broken away by the cam tunnel, and to top it all off it was a 1963 283 block that was bored out to 4.030 bore! A stock 283 bore is 3.875! Thats .155 over! OUCH talk about thin bores. Any ways I have had some engine parts around from when I worked at a machine shop building engines and have the components to put together a nice little 383 combo that will run on regular premium fuel that will be low maintenance and easy to drive until I have the time and funds to redo the car the way it should be. I'm going out in the garage to get something done, Flappin on the keys won't get me anywhere! Thanks.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
If that is a 327 block it was originally a 4 inch bore. The old 283's of that era could be punched out heavily. You could bore the 283 block 0.125 and with stock crank have a 301. Very hard to keep cool because of the thin walls.
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts