Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks
Here is an interesting hot rod , A 35 Willys Roadster in need of sheet metal repair. It has been butcherd with fillers and lead and our job it to put it on a diet if you will.

This area is crack and loaded with lead . Not that it is the wrong aproach but with in reason.

Underneath it all was very little weld and lots of poor area's so we will replace the intire trunk opening panel.

Here we started out with a flexabke patern before we start shaping our new upper quarter panel.

Here the panel above is roughed out .

With some wheeling we smooth out some of the walnuts we put in to stretch the panel.
Now after we have shrunk the edge some the panel is starting to fit rather nicely.

In this photo you can see where I marked with a sharpy is were we shrunk the edge to make it roll over the edge of the panel .

Here I Tig welded my trunk open edge and sanded it with 80 grit on a tiny 3 inch soft wheel to remove any remaining weld .

And this is the top side finish which I will go over with 220 grit to hide any 80 grit marks .

Here we have our fit up before we go on to make the next panel that will attach to it . I will keep you posted . Thanks for looking.

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Steve

That is really amazing how you can create panels, I love to see the photo's and learn from them please post more .

P.S. Where was Trifive-Toby when the work was being done.

Maybe he only works on Trifive's

otis:)

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today is his day off he was sleeping threw most of the activity today. He only wakes up long enough to bark a few demands :D so we take him out he comes in and eats and back to his one room condo . :)

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Folks
Here is a bit more progress on the 35 .:)

This cut out is going to be the very top of the rear quarter that trims off the top and enters the interior were the seating will be.

Here is the edge with the tip started in it.

Here is the panel with lots of work done to it .

I will follow up with a step by step on how I made this panel. :cool:

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys :eek: :eek:
Thanks for the kind words , It excites me every time I challange a new part,
and the excitement just grows when you guys like what you see. So really THANK YOU :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts