Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I went to put a fan shroud on my '55 and found the water pump shaft is about 2 inches lower than the center of the radiator. The shroud didn't work because the fan hit the bottom while leaving too much room at the top. Why would someone install a 350 this way and can I somehow raise the engine?

Thanks!

·
Registered
36,113 Posts
I doubt that your engine is too low, at least by a lot. Something would hit the crossmember if that had been done.

More likely you need to modify the shroud. This is not uncommon. Most of them don't fit right in some way.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The other alternative would be a electric fan.

Raising your engine could change the driveline angles, then you might have to do some work back there.

I have seen offset shrouds on circle track cars, but thoses were done by a good sheetmetal man that worked in a chassis/fab shop.

Can you modify your shroud to hang a bit lower, maybe with some custom brackets??.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Husker, What size fan are you running? My '56 has a 17" dia. flex fan with 1-1/2" to spare inside of the fan shroud.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,421 Posts
How much clearance do you have between the cranshaft pulley and the crossmember? A 7" pulley will have about 1 1/4" clearance in the stock location.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts