Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to get a 350 rocket. what is so special about this eng. dont know that much about the year and so forth but believe it to be in good running shape. a guy at work has it and didnt have time to ask.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Olds engines are're really "special". They are beffier and can make more torque than a comparable Chevy 350 due to their 6.00" rods and 1/8" larger bore. The first engine I ever "built" was a Olds 350. I still have it now, 7 years later. Currently it's not in a car, I moved states and had to ditch the car. The Olds engines also got the better steel back in the day. That's why chevy made 4-bolt mains, to compensate for weaker block steel.

Depending on the year and heads you can make some serious power with nothing aftermarket but a cam, intake, and headers. Mine made a hair over 400HP and 400LBS with an Edelbrock Performer RPM cam and intake and headers, and shoved my '78 Brougham into the high 12's. Pissed off more than one corvette :D . I also used an Edelbrock 750 carb for ease, but another carb should show no power difference. Other than those 4 aftermarket parts, the engine was basicly "stock".

I'm a big fan of Olds motors, the only downside is they are a few inches wider than a Chevy 350 due to the longer stroke which increased the deck height. So in some applications you need to widen the engine bay a little.

If your concidering getting it ask him what heads it has. There is a large number cast on the outside. It'll be on the front/top near the sparkplug on the drivers side (back top on the passanger). It'll be something like "7,7a,5,5A,ect.." Just one big number, and possibly an upper or lower case A. Like any engine, the power is in the heads. You can swap other heads on, but if it's not a "true" Rocket block and crappy heads it's not worth a whole lot. The bottom end is weaker and the heads will need to be replaced to make any real power.

If your looking for just a stockish rebuild that's reliable and a little different it won't matter if it's a Rocket block or just a regular Olds 350. There is a difference but most people don't know, they just call them all Rocket 350's. The true "Rocket" blocks were never called that by the factory. They were the earlier blocks (late 60's-early 70's) that had a R cast on the side. The R was just a casting code to denote the heavy duty blocks, and it didn't stand for Rocket. But since Olds had the Rocket emblem, people called it a Rocket block, and the rest is history.

If you need any more usless Olds 350 info, just ask. ;)

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
9,515 Posts
Makes me miss the 455 Olds Rocket my mother had in her 1971 Olds 98.
Eldon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts