Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving my car to the Somernites show, a squeel with a tick developed. I let off the gas and it went away. On the way home it started back and wouldn't quit. It happens when i give it any throttle. It is a loud squeel and a loud tick. Sounds like the motor is about to explode but I can't really tell where it is coming from and it has got me worried. It could be a pulley or??????? It doesn't do it idling which makes me think it isn't a pulley. It also doesn't do it all the time as I drove a while before it started. Other than that the car has plenty of power. I'm not sure what to do since I don't know where it is coming from. Guess I need to try to replicate it????
Josh

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Can you make it do the sound in park/neutral by reving the engine some ? or does it only occur when the car is moving ?

Regards, Robert

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only when the car was moving and in gear. You ever heard a valve break loose and a fan belt squeel? Put those together and that's what it sounded like....lol.
Josh

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
It may be something going in the rear end , jack the rear tires off the ground
and use jackstands under the rear axle and put it in neutral and turn the wheels and drive shaft by hand first to feel if there is any binding or odd noise or excessive looseness then start the car put it in gear and let the drive train turn with the engine at idle speed and see if the noise manifests itself if it does try to narrow it down to the transmission area or the rear axle area you can rev the engine a little just try to keep the speedometer reading below 30 mph
and don't hit the brakes to stop the rotation just put it in neutral again and let the driveline coast to a stop

If you can't make the sounds occur check the front wheel bearings they can also make all kinds of horrible noises as they fail.

Regards, Robert

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,492 Posts
I noticed that you post title says tbi 350 . if it is a stock gm tbi engine does it still have an egr valve on it . sometimes they can fail open and make some bad noises .:)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Check the nose housing of the starter - a broken flex plate can have the ring gear rubbing against it (would also mark the front of the ring gear).

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hotdog, it is all stock and I'll check the EGR.
John, I do have a high torque mini starter on it and will check the flywheel.
I don't think it is in the suspension, it could be in the transmission but the sound is created when gas is given and it isn't driven by what speed I am at.
Now that I think about it, it very well could be the EGR since something is throwing my SES light and the squeel sounds like air being sucked through a pinhole.
Josh

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, I just thought of something, do you guys think it could be a pcv valve? I've heard them squeal like that and the ball slamming back and forth would make a ticking noise. My only question would be why would it do that?
Josh

·
Registered
483 Posts
Check vacc - should be steady at whatever value you get. the only way your pcv would flutter is if your vacc is fluttering - and that would be from a bad valve seat or guide, or bad cam etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts