Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I decided to go with a automatic in the 56 and I took my 3 speed out, now im getting ready to put the th350 with my crossmember but I was wondering about engine mounts. First of all I would like any opinions or thoughts about how to go about this. My question is... can I be safe with using my front engine mounts? or is it absolutely necessary to weld side mounts to my frame? If I do side mounts I will have to take my engine out and its gonna make my job harder. I would like to avoid any extra work if at all possible. give me your thoughts. thanks

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,713 Posts

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
Leave the front mounts.

Bolt the auto trans to the engine then mount the cross member to frame.

You can weld plates to the frame then mount/bolt the cross member to the plates.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
I have just done this and went with the bell housing mounts shown above. They bolted up easily. I also have a rear crossmember, but probably not going to use it as it seemed like overkill.
A lot of people recommend using the rear crossmember. I'm not experienced enough to say wether or not you absolutely have to use the rear crossmember with the bellhousing mounts, but keep in mind that the bellhousing on a TH350 is cast aluminum and not all that thick. Maybe it will support the rest of the transmission, but I'd hate to chance it. Especially if you already have the crossmember.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
A lot of people recommend using the rear crossmember. I'm not experienced enough to say wether or not you absolutely have to use the rear crossmember with the bellhousing mounts, but keep in mind that the bellhousing on a TH350 is cast aluminum and not all that thick. Maybe it will support the rest of the transmission, but I'd hate to chance it. Especially if you already have the crossmember.
These mounts also work with Th400 and 700R4 and the above concern is greater yet, and none of them were designed to hang by the bellhousing. For example 72 Blazers have a mount under transfer case and another side mount many think is not required. This practice usually results in a broken case.

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
Hey guys, I decided to go with a automatic in the 56 and I took my 3 speed out, now im getting ready to put the th350 with my crossmember but I was wondering about engine mounts. First of all I would like any opinions or thoughts about how to go about this. My question is... can I be safe with using my front engine mounts? or is it absolutely necessary to weld side mounts to my frame? If I do side mounts I will have to take my engine out and its gonna make my job harder. I would like to avoid any extra work if at all possible. give me your thoughts. thanks
James I had front mounts bell houseing mounts and a crossmember mount with an automatic. I always had a vibration between 2200 and 3000 above 3000 it was gone but too much chance of a ticket. At 3000 rpm's it was over 75 mph. with a 325 gear and a 29 in. tall tire. I put side mounts on my 55 with the front mounts still on. I then got rid of the bell houseing mounts. I was going to take the front mount off but the vibration was gone so I just left them on. This was done with the engine in the car in the stock location. Hope this helps. Later Ronny:bowtier:bowtie-trifive:anim_25:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts