Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 350 block that needs to be rebuilt. I t needs to be bored and line bored. The machine work is around 400.00 not counting the headwork.

I can buy a 250 horse crate engine for 1400.00

What would be the best option

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If 250hp is all you need then I'd go for the crate engine less hassle and probably a warranty with only the 1 seller. If you build a engine yourself then you have to deal with the warranty blame game if something goes wrong.
If you have all the tools on hand to do every thing but the machining you could probably come out a little cheaper doing it yourself.

Regards, Robert

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Yep ditto here. You might save a few bucks doing it yourself...IF...you are confident in your skills or have a good friend that really knows engines. And there is the warranty issue.

Your call...yet I would go a crate myself if faced with that issue. If you are on a budget(aren't we all:))it sounds like a lot of outlay...yet there is the warranty factor...nothing worse than turning over a newly rebuilt engine and frying the cam 'cuz you screwed something up...been there, done that.
Buying from a reputable builder/company should eliminate the worry factor.

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
I'm on the other side of the fence. Does that 1400 include shipping/sales tax, plus carb, chrome kit? You may very well have 2000 + in it by the time you're done. My opinion- I would rather build it myself, know what's going in it. Pick the goodies,(pistons, rings, rods, cam, etc) that suits me. Then dress it out in polished alum. or chrome for less.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
You cant get the same satisfaction out of a crate moter anyone with a credit card can do that any day. I pulled a lock- up 65 Impala 396 out of a snowdrift and beat it apart. A 340.00 set of 060 new forged TRWs off Ebay and a 1200 dollars for the rest of parts & machine work from my local buddy at the machine shop and we were in the business of eating crate moters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.