Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Thanks much, since I am doing most of the walls with 2x6 I'm going to use a header 5 1/2" thick.
You don't need anything crazy big for your garage door header. Your trusses-roof weight are already carried by the truss headers. All you need is to carry the 16' opening.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
You don't need anything crazy big for your garage door header. Your trusses-roof weight are already carried by the truss headers. All you need is to carry the 16' opening.
I still have about a dozen utility poles to choose from that I can cut the beam from. The beam carrying the trusses on front is 4"X12" with a 17' span, those doors will be 12'. I will also cut a 4"X12" to run along the sides of the doors to hold the metal door guides and for more support.
Will a beam from a utility pole that is 4"X12"X18' be sufficient for the span on the gable end to support a 16' door? For the long span I have concerns that a beam from a utility pole will sag over time. This is where I was considering the LVL beam. I suppose cost would be a factor too, the LVL may be several hundred dollars and the utility poles I have on hand, they just need to be cut to size.

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,321 Posts
I still have about a dozen utility poles to choose from that I can cut the beam from. The beam carrying the trusses on front is 4"X12" with a 17' span, those doors will be 12'. I will also cut a 4"X12" to run along the sides of the doors to hold the metal door guides and for more support.
Will a beam from a utility pole that is 4"X12"X18' be sufficient for the span on the gable end to support a 16' door? For the long span I have concerns that a beam from a utility pole will sag over time. This is where I was considering the LVL beam. I suppose cost would be a factor too, the LVL may be several hundred dollars and the utility poles I have on hand, they just need to be cut to size.
The LVL beams are much stronger and won't sag like the single wood beam over time.

I priced out an LVL for my new shop and it came to $474 for a 5.5"x 11" by 36' long. My next problem is getting it up in place with little or no extra help. I'm thinking of waiting till I get my big off road truck down there with the 12k lb winch and set up a block and tackle to get it raised to the existing ceiling.

Good luck with which ever option you go with.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The LVL beams are much stronger and won't sag like the single wood beam over time.

I priced out an LVL for my new shop and it came to $474 for a 5.5"x 11" by 36' long. My next problem is getting it up in place with little or no extra help. I'm thinking of waiting till I get my big off road truck down there with the 12k lb winch and set up a block and tackle to get it raised to the existing ceiling.

Good luck with which ever option you go with.
Thanks for the info Fuz, it will definitely be an LVL for my top header.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Thanks for the info Fuz, it will definitely be an LVL for my top header.
You remember you don't have a normal header, your not carrying a roof load. All your carrying is the garage door opening span, your door opening is a non- load header. :shakehands:

·
3,321 Posts
You remember you don't have a normal header, your not carrying a roof load. All your carrying is the garage door opening span, your door opening is a non- load header. :shakehands:
This is true, but the 16' span over a garage door will also droop over time. I've had 2 shops where this header dropped 3/4-1" over the years and now makes it harder to get the 7' tall trucks in without airing down the tires.

·
Registered
535 Posts
This is true, but the 16' span over a garage door will also droop over time. I've had 2 shops where this header dropped 3/4-1" over the years and now makes it harder to get the 7' tall trucks in without airing down the tires.
If a non-load header drooped 3/4 to 1" in 16' it was probably was built with soft pine not fur or southern pine, or built with bow down to begin with.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
That 16' span will be holding a roll up door that's about 1000 pounds, I am also having 6" walls also so I do know the LVL will be 18' long and 5 1/2' thick, I am just unsure how tall the LVL should be. I do know I need about 23" of head space for the roll up door. I need to review how the door is going to mount, that may determine how tall the LVL is.

·
3,321 Posts
That 16' span will be holding a roll up door that's about 1000 pounds, I am also having 6" walls also so I do know the LVL will be 18' long and 5 1/2' thick, I am just unsure how tall the LVL should be. I do know I need about 23" of head space for the roll up door. I need to review how the door is going to mount, that may determine how tall the LVL is.
The LVL I have been looking at is these.
https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/trusses-i-joists-engineered-lumber/laminated-veneer-lumber-lvl-strand-lumber/5-1-4-x-13-3-4-glulam/p-1478676339252-c-5663.htm?tid=4006848060933800674&ipos=2

They will cut them to any length you specify.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
It has been awhile but I thought I would give an update on the shop. Time just gets ahead of you. Along the way I purchased a Polar Air compressor, it will go outside in an attached room at the rear of the shop. Viewing the diagram of the shop, as you exit the rear shop roll up door, make an immediate left an there will be a swing out door for the compressor room. It will have enough room for storage also.

BF27A336-D732-475B-90F9-45791CDA1456.jpg

84D97DBE-27AE-4016-8CC0-FEDFA21C5E92.jpg

D81DD6F8-644A-48A8-8B44-93CB2C1B5BDE.jpg

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
"I have concerns that a beam from a utility pole will sag over time."
I agree. The beam should be laminated, mounted on edge. The support strength will be much higher.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
I ordered my roll up doors sometime back and now have them. The salesman was very helpful and even came out and took measurements that way the door sizing is correct. He advised the doors are self supporting and the upright tract mostly supports all the weight. I will only need a header structure on the main largest door at the gable end. I will still get a laminated beam there, I just don’t have to get a heavy duty one as I originally thought. We have an 84 Lumber in town and can order almost any size laminated beam.
The three smaller doors are 12x10 and the large one is 18x10. The 18’ wide door will go on the east side where the shop is 43’ on the diagram.

B13DB21D-EF8C-4A18-949E-0F8CB2C34B9D.png

91F6D505-0E73-44B5-B1F5-166BE258140B.jpg

41 - 54 of 54 Posts