Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

241 - 260 of 610 Posts

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Before pulling the tires off for paint today, I figured I better do some measuring and make the final cuts for the radius. I bent up two pieces of 1/4" round stock and then clamped it to the fenders as a pattern. I penciled along the inside edge of both fenders and then with my small parting disc I carefully made the cut. It came out great and wont need much final grinding until after I weld the 1/4" on the inside edge of the cut.

And I cut the front drop off the fender also. Even with the body and no corner rounded for now. I'll carefully round the corner with a flapper disc so I can look at it as I go. I cut the original radius closer than I thought! Wasn't much removed on the final cut! Just these two slivers!

Then under the car to begin the horrible task of painting. I started with a 3" roller and then used paint brush to get some tough spots. Ran out of steam after about 5 hours, so need to come back tomorrow and get the rest of the tight spots with a brush and rattle cans. Also need to clean the rear axle and I'll rattle can the whole thing black. Not sure if I'll use the stock differential cover, or not yet? But I wont paint it for now.

My trunk was still tacky inside today. The cooler temperatures make for very slow drying times! I ran the small portable heater while I worked today until I couldn't stand the warm air. Had it set for 70 degrees, but when I'm working it's just too much. So I'll just let it take a few days to dry if that's what it needs.
I did a punch list last night, just for fun. The more I wrote, the more I realized how much is still ahead of me! I quit at around 40 items, and I know there's much more!

·
Premium Member
12,336 Posts
I don't make those 'lists' they just depress me. LOL

Speaking of differential covers. I've liked this brand and style very much, in black or cast. Very similar to the T/A ones, but much more attractive for some reason. Expensive buggars though. The fill and drain function is really nice.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
I've looked at those Dan, and tempted. They have the nice drain feature, and the two screws to help support the bearing caps. But the differential is going to be pretty tough to see unless somebody is way back, or on their hands and knees to look at it. A lot of bling that will likely never be seen by most.
I was contemplating pulling a cover off one of the Thunderbird/Cougar '89-'98 that have the aluminum cover with the filler. No drain plug, but as rarely as I'd drain it I'd drop the cover.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Got so caught up in working on the '39 today that I lost track of time. Missed our car club Tuesday night get together at the local pizza parlor. But it was worth it as the day was pretty productive.
I got out the paint again and finished up painting the undercarriage, including the rearend. Then made up the mounts for my rear axle snubbers and got those mounted to the frame rails. Happened to be a 3/8" body bolt right where it needed to go, so used that as an easy mounting bolt for one hole.
After that I removed the drag link and tierod and hung both up to shoot paint on them too. Then I cut the 1/4" rods I bent for the rear fender radius, and fit them to the openings. A few hundred tiny little tacks later they were on and I ground the welds all smooth.
I got to looking at the inside of the fender where the rod sits against the fender, and figured the round rod left a perfect place for crud to sit and maybe rust. So mixed up a little Duraglass and ran a bead all along the rod inside to make sure anything will run off and not sit in there.
Never got to fabbing the front shock mounts, but ordered a pair of shocks for a late 50's Chevy 1/2 ton.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
After applying the burl wood vinyl to one end of the dash it became pretty apparent that it was going to be a bit too much. Plus it looked like it might need a chrome trim strip to edge it and look finished. So I scaled down and just put the gauge panel and clock blank off plate in burl wood. Just enough to offset the ivory and give some contrast.

The old radio doesn't work, but I kinda like the look of it, so I'll keep it in the dash and hide another CD player under the seat.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
Got all my brake lines bent up, double flared and terminated. Only forgot one fitting while flaring ends, and it was long enough to trim the flare off and slip a new fitting on before flaring again. I'll have to start at the master cylinder and tighten all the fittings later, but didn't want to do it today.

And a picture of the front suspension and those painted tierod and drag link.

·
Administrator
48,514 Posts
Lookin' good Val....Some nice looking bends on your brake lines buddy :):tu

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Lookin' good Vall....Some nice looking bends on your brake lines buddy :):tu
Thanks! The one going from driver's side T to right side wheel was 10 bends and of course that's the one I forgot to put the connector on when I made the flare end. I was afraid I'd have to do all those weird bends again, but got lucky with just enough length to make it.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Running around today, so not much got done on the '39. But I did pull the gauge panel out and pre wire it all so it will only take a few wires hooked up to complete it later. I like to run a ground wire to each gauge and not depend on the panel to ground all the gauges.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Ugh. Sanding on the firewall today, and dust everywhere. Also pulled the '52 Pontiac steering wheel and figured since I was spreading filler, I'd repair it and sand it also. It's got sun baked rash on the top outer rim, and a few dings. So filled and sanded them all and gave it a coat of 2x primer. Gave the firewall a couple coats also, and will sand some more tomorrow.
My front axle came with the lower shock mounts gone. They want $65 a pair for original mounts for the axle lower bracket, so I built some out of heavy 2" angle iron. When my shocks arrive I'll use the lower stud that comes with them and weld it into the lower mounts. Need to build upper mounts, but waiting until I have the shocks and can look at travel before I build them.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Finish sanded the steering wheel today and gave it a coat of desert sand color to match the dash. Then finish sanded the firewall and shot it in gloss black. After that I unwrapped the plastic on engine and trans, and bolted up the fenderwell headers with gaskets this time. Began cutting up the JEGS '68-'72 Chevelle 2.5" exhaust kit to fit it to my '39. Started with a 45 bend to get from collector to under the car. After that's tacked I'll go to the rear and begin at the fuel cell and work my way over the axle and forward until they meet up. I have a fair bit of work to get around the fuel cell, miss the shocks, and stay inside the ladder bars, but not get too close to the driveline. And once I get close to the front I have to fit the electric cutouts into the exhaust system in that first 45 degree run. Whew! Should be fun!

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
Hung the steering wheel again today, so it's there to stay....for now.

And the firewall I painted yesterday.

Started the exhaust system today, but had to repair my belt sander as the drive belt got so loose it wouldn't turn the sanding belt! But I got one side welded up, and the other side about half done before I decided to stop.

I also called about an '86 Camaro driveline on Craigslist because it had the 700R4 yoke, and was a good donor for parts. I got it home and stuffed it in the trans and checked the differential end and it was the perfect length! I thought it might be close to the right length, or maybe slightly short. But between the yoke body, and the 8.8 Ford flange on the rear it turned out to be perfect!
Only $60 and I dropped it off at the driveline shop to have him put two lifetime U joints in, and install the Ford flange, and balance it. He usually installs U joints for free, and the U joints themselves are only about $23 ea., so should be a cheap driveline.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
I'm diggin' that wheel, Vall!
JR
Thanks! It was in the car when I bought it, but the top half of the horn ring was broken off. I used Duraglass to repair the horn ring where metal was gone, and also to repair imperfections in the wheel itself.
Wasn't positive I'd use it, but once I got it fixed up and painted to match I like it a lot more. It's from a '52 Pontiac and I located the correct hon button once I figured out what the wheel was.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
I think I could have finished the exhaust system today if I didn't run out of gas the first few minutes!! Had to stop when the welds got bad, and go get a new tank. I picked up some more cutoff discs while I was there because they had some really high quality discs at $11 per 10 discs. A really great price, and I should have bought a lot more than just 10 pack.
The back half of the exhaust system is all welded up, but just pushed into the muffler. Tomorrow I'll do the less fun part of laying under the car and welding the tailpipe to the muffler. Ugh!
My front shocks came today also, so once the exhaust is welded I can start on the front shocks.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
The shocks that came yesterday were a surprise! I opened the box and found a pair of "Tennecco" brand shock boxes. Inside was a pair of white gas shocks, and not the blue Monroe gas shocks I ordered? I contacted the seller by email and was simply told, "all our details are accurate and in the description". But their description was for Monroe shocks?
So I figured I'd ask Google who Tennecco was? The answer was just as surprising! Tennecco bought Monroe, Rancho, and a huge number of other automotive related companies! So since the shocks are white they could be Monroe, or maybe Rancho more likely, since Rancho are white.
Odd that the seller didn't simply tell me the relationship instead of replying their info was accurate?

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
Here's a list of what Tennecco owns. Surprisingly they too are an American company. They used to be Tennessee Valley Oil Co.

Tennecco owns the following brands:
Monroe
Walker
Rancho
DynoMax
Clevite Elastomers
Gillet
Fonos
Fric-Rot
Kinetic
Thrush
NX
Marzocchi
Axios
Lukey

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
I got the exhaust system done today!! Hangers and even the chrome swap meet tips. And bolted up the electric cutouts, just so I was completely done!

Dropped the axle from the springs to mount up the front shock mounts I built. While the axle was loose I gave a good coat of gloss black on the springs. The factory black looked pretty poor, and doubt it would have held up long.
Still need to make up the top shock mounts and get them welded or bolted to the frame rails.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
You just amaze me with the progress you make every day. Nice work!
Thanks. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to things I build, so even when I take parts out to the shop it ends up in a few hours of work. My wife told me once that she thought I wasn't as happy as I am when I'm building a car. She's probably right.

241 - 260 of 610 Posts