Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, This may sound stupid , but I have the 3spd overdrive unit to put back in , but what hardware is required , as it has all been removed by the last so called resto rodder ! . Switch , cables , wiring ? is it available or do I just guess ??? anybody know ?? thanks oldbodyman:p3:

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Thats been covered in a few threads recently. I will look for them for you. You need a HD push pull cable, a kickdown switch and wiring. The wiring can be home made. The carb kickdown switch and bracket is the hardest thing to find. Back in the day some cars had a kickdown switch mounted under the gas pedal, which would be much simplier to set up.

Do you have a 55 shop manual? There is a very complete explaination in it.

The assembly manual available here shows the wiring harness and kickdown

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107696&highlight=overdrive

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just put an overdrive back in my car so it is somewhat fresh in my mind. Short list of components needed for the factory style install are:

Kickdown Switch and bracket, Lockout Cable and handle with bracket, Relay, shift linkage and column (same as standard 3 speed), overdrive wiring harness, and of course the transmission which should have installed on it the solenoid and governor switch.

These guys sell several overdrive associated repo parts http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/parts/parts_counter_3.html

Click the "parts counter" link on their page and then go to the 3rd page, you will find the overdrive stuff.

However some of this stuff is fairly expensive, I don't know how concerned you are with having exact original style components? But I was able to save a substantial amount of money by making my own wiring harness (the wire scheme is fairly straight forward on these), I also found a kickdown switch through napa for under $30, and instead of the original or repo relay I used a standard 5 pin 12v 30 amp automotive relay that you can get at any auto parts store for under $10.

Hope this helps feel free to ask for more details if needed and I'm sure other guys on here will chime in with more experience and suggestions than I have.

·
3,279 Posts
I just put an overdrive back in my car so it is somewhat fresh in my mind. Short list of components needed for the factory style install are:

Kickdown Switch and bracket, Lockout Cable and handle with bracket, Relay, shift linkage and column (same as standard 3 speed), overdrive wiring harness, and of course the transmission which should have installed on it the solenoid and governor switch.

These guys sell several overdrive associated repo parts http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/parts/parts_counter_3.html

Click the "parts counter" link on their page and then go to the 3rd page, you will find the overdrive stuff.

However some of this stuff is fairly expensive, I don't know how concerned you are with having exact original style components? But I was able to save a substantial amount of money by making my own wiring harness (the wire scheme is fairly straight forward on these), I also found a kickdown switch through napa for under $30, and instead of the original or repo relay I used a standard 5 pin 12v 30 amp automotive relay that you can get at any auto parts store for under $10.

Hope this helps feel free to ask for more details if needed and I'm sure other guys on here will chime in with more experience and suggestions than I have.
do you have the part number for the NAPA kickdown switch?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Part Number: ECH OD6284 I believe this is the one i purchased, it doesn't list it as being for a chevy, but it worked for me and from all I can tell is the same or similar one to the one on the 5th avenue garage site.

Napa also has this one

Part Number: ECH OD6424

Not 100% sure what the difference is between the two, I think the one I bought may actually be designed to go under the accelerator pedal, but I mounted it off the carb.

·
3,279 Posts
thanks I will go to NAPA today and try to get one

1 - 7 of 7 Posts