Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
12,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today we took apart one of the rolling chassis I bought for a C4 conversion. It had all of the front suspension, brakes, and steering and a complete rearend in it. I think I paid $400 for the whole works.

We cut the front of the frame off behind the crossmember, and rolled it away to be disassembled later.

Then we went to the rear and cut the spring mounts, removed the shackles, and rolled the rearend out from under the frame.

I tried to get the rearend to turn so I could roll it to my junk pile, but it wouldn't...one tire just dragged in the dirt. It knew it wasn't locked up, because the pinion was turning. So I was baffled at first as to why it wouldn't turn for me......

Then I realized it probably had a POSI in it!!! It's not a "P" case, at least not as far as I can tell. The case casting number is 3707306 and I think that's a non-posi case. The gears are 4:11s. It's in a '57 housing (drain plug on bottom), but the frame is a 55-56. So someone must have put a posi carrier in a regular differential case and put it in a 57 housing.

What is this thing worth?

·
12,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guess is welded spiders I have seen more of those in 55-57 than posi-track.
Why would someone weld the spiders? :confused: This chassis was bone stock otherwise. Doesn't look like anyone modified it for drag racing.

Looks like I'll have to take it apart to find out for sure. I'll see if I can force the tires to rotate in opposite directions first.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
When you have been building cars as long as I have you ask yourself "why would someone do that" on a daily basis.

·
12,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, just for grins let's say this is a real GM posi with 4:11 gears in a 57 housing. What would that be worth? ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts